We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manele Bay vs Lodge?

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
126 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Manele Bay vs Lodge?

Hi all,

Planning a trip to Lanai in Sept and thinking about splitting time between the two Four Seasons properties there. I've done some research and it seems they are quite different. My question is 1) Would you split time between these two (we have 6 nights) and if so 3/3? Should we spend time at one more than the other? I've heard many people prefer the Lodge but it does seem strange to go all the way to Hawaii and not stay on the beach. We are looking for a relaxing, quiet, recharging kind of vacation, having recently had surgery we won't be able to do many activities and a recent passing in the family we are looking for quiet, privacy, natural beauty, and pampering. A centering kind of vacation. And by the way, we are Four Seasons junkies, we're looking for quiet and privacy. Thanks so much!

31 replies to this topic
Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,900 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manele Bay vs Lodge?

I think you should split it but I'd do it 4/2 in favor of Manele. The Lodge is a unique experience with good hikes out the door, golf and horseback riding, plus proximity to town, but Manele Bay has the gorgeous beach and snorkeling, better weather, better pool and the spa. IME the service is much better at Manele Bay.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,571 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manele Bay vs Lodge?

I agree to stay more at Manele. The Lodge is beautiful, but coming myself from MN I want to be where the beach is and where it is sunny. Have fun!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manele Bay vs Lodge?

Any time on Lanai will be great in my opinion. It really depends on what you plan to do.

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,091 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manele Bay vs Lodge?

I understand your thoughts of going all the way to Hawai`i and then not staying at the beach. We always stay at Manele, and just use the shuttle to take advantage of the things to do at the Lodge. I really like waking up and seeing/hearing the ocean. But that is me, you would have to decide what you like.

One other thing to keep in mind is that it is cooler with more chance of rain up at the Lodge. But September is pretty dry and warm on the whole island. Winter time it is more of an issue.

Have a great visit to my favorite island! And post a trip report. :-)

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,667 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manele Bay vs Lodge?

As noted above while the Lodge is lovely... it's not much different than several other lovely spots on the mainland and elsewhere... If going to Hawaii I want to know I'm in Hawaii... That said I'd consider a split though a stay and a visit is probably less hassle.

Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
1,320 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manele Bay vs Lodge?

Probably best to pick one property on your first visit to minimize pack / unpack, check-out / check-in time. Use that time instead to explore both areas on your daily adventures. Then on your next visit, split the time between the 2 resorts when you have a better feel for the island. Both properties are very accessible through the shuttle service or Jeep/Hummer rental and offer different experiences. You really can't go wrong!

Malibu
Level Contributor
11,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manele Bay vs Lodge?

We shuttle up to the Lodge for golf and into town but we come to Hawaii for more of what Manele offers. There's something out of place when one walks into the Lodge at night and sees a big fire in the fireplace.

toronto
Level Contributor
330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manele Bay vs Lodge?

We absolutely prefer Manele...but like others have said....coming from Toronto and cold winters...we want the beach! The Lodge is pretty but I do find it very dark in the Lobby and the seating areas by the fireplace....I like the open brightness of Manele and you can't beat the view when you first walk in the main entrance! Like DRV suggested....stay at Manele and use the Shuttle to visit The Lodge. Either way...you will love Lanai!

Nashville, Tennessee
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Manele Bay vs Lodge?

We are going in September as well for two weeks. This is our third trip and we always stay at the Lodge. Our reasons: 1) it is quiet, peaceful and very "Hemingwayish". 2) much fewer families with children. I know this may not be a popular reason but we have no kids and like the quieter atmosphere. 3) the two properties are 100% reciprocal in amenities. We take the shuttle down to Manele and enjoy the pool and restaurants when we want. 4) the Lodge is very close to Lanai City which we love to walk around and eat at. It's an entirely different atmosphere "up top". 5) and lastly, the great Hall and bar at Koele are our favorite places in the world.

But as so many others have said, you can't go wrong at either...purely personal preference.

PS: the lodge costs less

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,900 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manele Bay vs Lodge?

So, Rix94, I hate to throw a wrench in the works, but the properties are not "reciprocal" any more. Lodge guests can no longer use the Manele Bay pool.

Edited: 3:37 am, September 03, 2013
Reply to: Manele Bay vs Lodge?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lanai City