We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Lanai--Questions About Timing, etc...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Travel to Lanai--Questions About Timing, etc...

Hello to All--

I have been reading your posts and would love your thoughts on a few questions I have about returning to Lanai. i thank you in advance for your generosity.

I visited last in 2005, shortly after the Four Seasons took over the properties at the beach and lodge and had a fantastic trip. The folks were lovely, as was the resort. I have been excited to return.

Timing: Last visit was in mid-May. We did see dolphins from the hotel and whales during our shuttle from Lanai to Maui. This time we are thinking about November (around Thanksgiving). I would imagine it would be crowded--but thought the marine sightings might be better. Also, how is the weather then?

Four Seasons Manele Bay: I have been reading reports and it sounds as though the hotel might need refurbishing (musty, mold, field mice). What are other's experiences?

Food/Activities: The restaurants downtown (except the Grille) were only average. Any new ones? Also, this time we would like to snorkel/scuba/go horseback riding. Recommendations?

Again, thank you in advance for any thoughts you may have--I will return the favor with a trip report upon my return!

Best to All,

Edina, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
4,104 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Lanai--Questions About Timing, etc...

Aloha Vicky,

Well in November, the whale sightings would be few, but they do start ariving then. We have been there a couple times in early December and see a few whales, but see more during our visits in January and February. The dolphins are the same all year.

November and early December are usually very quiet except over the Thanksgiving long weekend. Weather at that time can vary, but we have had a strong early winter storm (i.e. lots of rain for a day or two) with our two visits in early December. With this link to weather averages on Maui, you can use the Lahaina info for what to expect at the Manele area of Lana`i:

No new places downtown except the poke/sushi place which is only a daytime place. I personally really like Pele's Other Garden for great deli sandwiches at lunch and nice simple pasta and pizza at dinner (and they serve beer/wine/liquor). I also find that the Blue Ginger is great for breakfast pastries and lunch (the Mahi Burger is great!).

At Manele I recommend you enjoy a simple dinner at the Hale Ahe Ahe Lounge one night and listen to the live music. The bar menu is good and much better priced than the restaurants. I have not been as happy with the current versions of the Hulopo`e Court or the Ocean Grill, but hopefully they will improve things.

At the Lodge at Koele, I have never been disappointed with a meal at the main Dining Room (not the Terraces but the fancier place).

I completely agree that Manele Bay particularly needs some sprucing up, but it is still a nice place. If you can spluge the Ocean Front rooms are the nicest decorated. I have never seen a rodent in the room or actually outside, but I know they exist. They have had traps outside for as long as I have been visiting. One interesting complication of the great effort to neuter all the ferral cats is that has resulted in less mice killers around. But I really wouldn't worry about it. Just keep you lanai screen closed at all times - it will keep out the the mice, bugs, birds and wild turkeys. I once left the screen open to take a picture of a pretty bird on our lanai, and it walked in. We were able to chase it out.

If you read all the reviews of Manele, the vast majority of people loved their stay there.

Here is a link to info regarding all there is to do on the island:

Have a great time planning your trip and make sure you go through a Four Seasons Preferred Partner Travel Agent to get all the extra perks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Lanai--Questions About Timing, etc...

Thank you so much Dr. V! I am torn about the timing of our stay, as November works best, but I may be able to push it to January. I had a great time with weather and marine sightings in May--but I can't wait that long. I need an island healing!

You mentioned a Four Seasons Preferred Planner--how might I find one?

Thanks so much for your thoughts! I would imagine my questions are a bit repetitious--I'll read more posts.

Best to you,

3. Re: Travel to Lanai--Questions About Timing, etc...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 18, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Lanai City
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question