We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

Alpharetta
Level Contributor
74 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

Hi all,

One of our group tends to get car sick on curvy roads. Also, one gets quite nervous at precipitous overlooks. We've taken the road to Hana and it was quite scary. Is the road to Waimea Canyon similar? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,843 Reviews
Kauai, HI
16 replies to this topic
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,222 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

Yes, my same friend (mentioned above) had booked a cabin at Kokee and envisioned driving down to the beach from there as it looked like a short drive on the map, but didn't realize it was just too curvy of a road for her. They cut short their cabin stay after a not so good trip up to the area, realizing the next time they drove down would be her last!

I think it is a great road, but I don't get car sick. :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

We are back to the individual person and what they are capable of handling. Most of us totally enjoy the drive up and down with no trepidations what so ever.

But, if car sickness is a big deal then that person might want to spend some pool time, or shopping , or whatever and not attempt it. The other of the group has a problem with percipitous hights....that will not be much of a problem driving, but what about the overlooks that gaze down into deep canyons.

Why subject the either of both of them to a condition that they feel uncomfortabl with, and not only that, ruin the outing for the others of their group who will be affected by what is happening with their friends.

Were it us, we could drop them off someplace that would be on their personal list to have some fun, and pick them up after our photo op and discovery of waimea canyon and the kalalau valley. \

For others, this is not like the road to hana, as others have mentioned, Waimea Canyon Road, really is no big deal, no drop offs, and is a pretty good road, with some turns. But for those afflicted with vertigo for the lookouts , or fear of heights , or motion sickness it could be a very big problem.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,843 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Batesville
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

I do not handle heights well at all. In our second visit to Kauai in 1998, my wife and I drove up to the top of the canyon, and it was okay, though I couldn't get out of the car, much less get near the overlook itself, when we got to the top.

The drive down was absolutely horrific. I was white-knuckled all the way.

I will never be able to do Waimea again, unfortunately.

So while I can't speak to the matter of car sickness, I would advise the person who doesn't like overlooks to spend the day at Salt Pond or Kekaha.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

Boy, agree completely with Denny. There's really no reason groups have to stick together 100% of the time. It does everyone well to split up now and then.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
486 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

I drive when I think a road will get me car sick. Something about doing the driving prevents the carsickness... Just an idea.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
95 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

On our honeymoon in 2009, I was absolutely fine with Waimea Canyon. Totally not affected! Loving life!

The next year, we went to Maui and I experienced the Road to Hell, err, I mean Hana, and Sunrise at Haleakala in the same trip. It ruined me and I was so sick the entire trip. (I had previously never been motion sick in my whole life!)

When we went back to Kauai in 2013, I was pretty antsy going to Waimea Canyon. I FELT sick, but it could have been psychological. That being said, I never want to do Waimea Canyon again - twice was enough. Too bad it's my husband's favorite spot.

I think it also depends which road you take to drive up and drive back down - there are two roads that can take you up to the Canyon and back down again. On the second trip, we took the first route - it's a little unmarked side street that takes you up.

Mentioned in this post
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,843 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hana
Hana
Maui, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Reply to: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted