We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

Alpharetta
Level Contributor
74 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

Hi all,

One of our group tends to get car sick on curvy roads. Also, one gets quite nervous at precipitous overlooks. We've taken the road to Hana and it was quite scary. Is the road to Waimea Canyon similar? Thanks!

16 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
10,176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

No, it's not bad at all--nothing like the road to Hana!

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

I get motion sickness and was mostly fine. There was really only one or two curves that were very curvy.

Kilauea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
706 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

...plus, there are many stops along the way through the canyon and all the way to the end. you will be fine.

I never get motion sickness, and the road to Hana was a bit much for me at times.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,887 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

I have a friend who does get car sick on the road to Waimea Canyon - when we went as a group, she didn't go. It isn't like Hana, and I can't think of any bad drop offs, but it still may be too much for those that get car sick easily.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
209 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

Ok I'm not going to lie, I was not feeling good on the way down Waimea. I think I did fine on the way up because of so many stops at the over looks and we stopped for lunch at the Lodge, but on the way down I had to close my eyes and lie my seat back. I wasn't expecting it at all and felt kind of foolish, so I'm glad I'm not the only one....I'm not the only one right? lol

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,787 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

Living and travelling frequently throughout the mountainous western states I can't imagine the canyon road being a big deal. As far as higher altitude driving it's easy in comparison. Much of it , or most, is a straight shot with maybe some slight curves to the road. You're not driving tight switchbacks up the side of a mountain, back and forth. such as the drive up to Haleakala. It's largely a straight and gradual shot up. There's good shoulder most of the way, like any other 2 lane road and there aren't any cliffside dropoffs straight down. If there is it must not have been a big deal because I don't even remember seeing it or feeling any concern.

Whenever this question comes up I always wonder if people are thinking it's comparable to that old Lucille Ball comedy, The Long, Long Trailer. Lucy and Ricky are driving a long Airstream over the peaks of Colorado. I can assure you it's nothing like that. Altitudes can affect people differently though. It's possible that if one gets sick it's because of that and not the condition of the road.

California
Level Contributor
10,176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

The Long, Long Trailer---Thanks for the memories : ))) No, the road to the canyon is nothing like that!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,787 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

22kauai, we're showing our ages............

Edited: 3:54 pm, March 24, 2014
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,887 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

I loved that movie too! :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
48,222 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?

I agree with Napaguy ... I didn't think the road up Waimea Canyon was much of a challenge. But we all have our own sensitivities.

Reply to: Canyon road too curvy for car sick prone passengers?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted