We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waimea without a vehicle

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Waimea without a vehicle

Hi there, anyone know how to reach the Kokee bunkers / campsites without a vehicle? Is there someplace to rent a bike then possibly ride up?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waimea without a vehicle

Outfitters in Poipu rents bicycles. Not sure if you are talking about motorcycle or bicycles. Don't know of any places in Waimea that rents bikes. It's a pretty tough ride up there. My husband does the ride for training for his triathlons.

Edited: 6:26 pm, July 17, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waimea without a vehicle

Thanks, yes, talking bicycles... May have to rethink this if there is no other option.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waimea without a vehicle

Bicycle rental is a bit expensive now ($45/day). You can pick up a rental car for less money. If you only need a ride up to Kokee, you might want to look into a taxi.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waimea without a vehicle

Does anyone know about the Rideshare program ? Do you think that is a safe way to get to Waimea .... or do you know of any taxi company that will drop peple at the lodge in the Canyon?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waimea without a vehicle

I do not think that you are really aware of wimea canyon road, and riding a bike from waimea town up to koke'e. And back down for that matter.

it is many miles of up , with many bllnd turns, and narrow road. Why not do like the rest of the visitors and rent a car. If you rent a bike at outfitters in poipu, you will need a car to transport the bike. Not sure about your plan as to being workable.

You might also consider the chance of rain, as well as the faster moving vehilces that will have to cross into the on coming late since you will be on the road with your slow moving bike, working hard at peddling.

Frankly, if I drove around a corner and had the choice of a head on colission with an on coming motor vehicle, or a bicyclist....I would not impact an on coming car or truck at a minimum combined speed fof 50 mph plus.

I know there are rental cabins at the lodge and koke'e area, but not familar with whatever those bunkers are. Bunkers to me are military emplacements.

I suppose you could hire a taxi, but for that price you could get a rental car, with plenty of bucks to spare. best to call a taxi company and ask them.

Also, you will probably get charged for the trip up, and the taxi drivers solo trip back down. Same cost for the return.

Good luck, you will find Waimea / Koke'e to be a beautiful and marvelous place to hike and enjoy.

Denny

Edited: 12:04 pm, July 21, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waimea without a vehicle

Thanks Denny... I should have mentioned the person I am posting for does not have a drivers license, but is anxious to camp there. What about ride share? Do u know anything about that?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waimea without a vehicle

ah-ha....NEW IDEA TO HELP YOU.....I went down and put Erica's coffee on, trying to think of another solution....

Not sure how you are getting to waimea town area, or if you are packing in food, and other gear...

But, how about HITCH HIKING ! People here on island are pretty good about picking people up....especially if you were down at the base of waimea canyon road, and were there with your ruck and gear.

You might have to ride in the back of a local pick up truck, or luck out and hop into a ford convertable mustang. Ya never know.

However , how were you planning on getting to waimea town. I do not think that the Kauai Bus allows camping gear and packs on board. You can check with them on that. Might have to hitch there also.

The reason I say that, several years ago a young couple had hiked and camped out in the kalalau valley. I spotted them on the lawn in front of the old school house shops in Hanalei , and walked over to talk with them.

They were headed to the airport, and the Kauai Bus would not allow them on with their ruck sacks. So, we piled them into the small back seat of our car, with their gear and drove them to lihue airport, dropped them off at the terminal.

So, Hitch Hiking might be an idea that is free, and safe, and have room for your gear.

Sorry, but that is the best , and simplest solution that I can think of.

Others may have more information.

You are going to love Koke'e and you will not run out of trails to hike.

lush forests are all around.

Denny

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waimea without a vehicle

I adore my destination experts - always come thru!

Enjoy your coffee and day... Cheers

Edited: 12:41 pm, July 21, 2012
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waimea without a vehicle

Oh.....and one more idea....

Erica and I were talking, and , if it were us visiting from Canada and trying to hitch hike...

We , when back on the mainland, would use the computer , or nicely print up a hand held sign, if we were hitch hiking.

CANADIAN HIKER

KOKE'E

MAHALO

That might also entice the visitors to possible stop, since they are headed that way, as well as the residents.

Denny

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waimea without a vehicle

Hitching can work here. Over she-who-must-be-obeyed's objections I occasionally pick up someone who doesn't look too dirty or scary. I've been burned a time or two on the dirty part, but all have been nice so far.

That said, Kauai is not Mayberry no matter what anyone says. We do have violent crime every once in a while, and (even rarer) it can be directed towards visitors that make bad choices about where to camp or who to drink/drug with. There's some weird crap going on off the beaten path on the West side. Nuff said.

Waimea to Kekaha is pretty thinly populated. That's a tough spot to be with nil transportation other than shank's mare. Those roads up the hill are winding and dangerous. I know people bike them, but it's not an ideal situation. The shoulders are poor and people, especially some tourists and the big truck boys, drive way too fast.

They could rent a bike and take the bus as far as they can get, but getting up that hill is going to be a slog unless you can cage a ride.