We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Awa'awapuhi or Honopu Ridge Trail or both?

Which Waimea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
san diego
Level Contributor
16 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Awa'awapuhi or Honopu Ridge Trail or both?

I'm trying to plan out an upcoming trip to Kauai in a month and am reading posts as well as a couple of guidebooks. The Awa'awapuhi Loop and Honopu Ridge Trail hikes interest me but after looking at a map, they seem like they are close together so I was wondering if doing both would be repetitive...? Do they offer the same views? Is there a reason to do both or should I just pick one (and which one)?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
813 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Awa'awapuhi or Honopu Ridge Trail or both?

I have been researching trails to do and this one is now high on my list. Anyone been on it lately?

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
33 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Awa'awapuhi or Honopu Ridge Trail or both?

Don't bother with Honopu Ridge. The unmaintained trail is narrow and exhausting. I would have rather done the whole 10 miles of Nualolo/Awaawapuhi over the 4 miles here. It simply isn't rewarding enough when compared to the loop or even Pihea/Alakai. We didn't have problems getting lost, but the False Staghorn ferns destroy bare legs and certain fabrics. We threw away a shirt and pants between my wife and I. This trail is brutal if wet. You slip the whole way, so wear great footwear. My wife wanted to save space in bags and didn't bring her Merrells, hiking in Nike running shoes. She slipped, fell, and slid, stopping herself against a tree, spraining her ankle by stopping. Be very careful.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
813 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Awa'awapuhi or Honopu Ridge Trail or both?

For anyone interested, I see that the Sierra club is hosting a hike on Honopu ridge on Sept 11. Just scroll down their page to that date and you will see it.

…sierraclub.org/kauai/outings/index.html

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
813 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Awa'awapuhi or Honopu Ridge Trail or both?

I finally found someone who has been on Honopu and I wanted to relay what they said since they are not on TA. They hiked Honopu ridge about 6 weeks ago and they highly recommended it to me after doing it. They said the views were absolutely amazing.

They reported the trail is well marked with pink ribbons now, but as reported in the past there are lots of ferns and plants that will scratch so be sure to wear long pants.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Awa'awapuhi or Honopu Ridge Trail or both?

Send me your email address and i'll send you a few pics of our hike if you would like.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,344 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Awa'awapuhi or Honopu Ridge Trail or both?

We were lucky enough to hike it (last year) shortly after it was brushed out. It was very dry, which is ideal for Honopu Ridge. But to get the best views, you have to descend the sometimes steep and often sandy slopes. The farthest points on the ever narrowing ridge are not for everyone, but those that wander down there are rewarded with outstanding views.

But to answer the very old title question: both :)

Edited: 5:50 am, July 06, 2011
17. Re: Awa'awapuhi or Honopu Ridge Trail or both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, October 08, 2012