We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tours to Waimea that start from North Shore.

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Tours to Waimea that start from North Shore.

I'm looking for an organization that does guided hikes in the Waimea Canyon. I have found some, but they all start out from the South Shore. I’ll be staying in Hanalei Bay. I don't mind driving down South in the morning, but it would be way more convenient if I could book a tour that starts from the North and have all the driving done for me. Any suggestions?

Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tours to Waimea that start from North Shore.

I'd suggest you call the tour company of your choice and ask them where you may meet them at Waimea Canyon to join them on their hike. I would bet they would be able to accommodate you.

California
Level Contributor
37,964 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tours to Waimea that start from North Shore.

You might want to check with this tour company:

http://www.robertshawaii.com/kauai/

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tours to Waimea that start from North Shore.

Thanks for the suggestion about Robert's Hawaii. They pick up from the North Shore, but it is not really the sort of tour I'm looking for. It seems you're are just driven (quickly if you look at the return time) through the area, whereas I'd like to do a bit of hiking as well.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tours to Waimea that start from North Shore.

You may have to drive down from up north and then take a van tour that is based out of the south shore area, like Lihue.

There are many tour vans, and cab/vans.

Check with your concierge. Or look them up in the phone book.

We see small vans from Kauai Discovery Tours up there at the lookout.

Also, Aloha Kauai Tours has several different tours, but check with them to see if they go up to waimea canyon ( they are out standing ).

Actually, you will have a pleasant drive to get to the south shore, and might want to add is some stops on your way back up north on your own.

Denny

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tours to Waimea that start from North Shore.

Linden

Re-read your post, you might hop onto the computer and look up the Sierra Club Kauai Chapter for their hiking skeds. Yesterday, they hiked the Alakai Swamp.

We have them posted on the refer, and Erica circles the ones that interest her, and also writes them on the calendar.

It does take prior reservations for some of the hikes as four wheel drive vehicles are needed to get to the trail heads ( sometimes ).

I think they might charge five bucks or so for non members ( who are welcome ). Regardless , no biggie.

Kauai Aloha Tours incorporates hiking into some of their tours, but check with them on that.

Sorry, did not read the " hiking" aspect of your post the first time.

Denny

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
10 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tours to Waimea that start from North Shore.

Hi Denny, thanks for all your tips. I checked them all out, but they either don't do the Canyon or don't do it when I'll be around. (June 27-July 4)

I have contacted Kauai Nature Tours, they have a Waimea Canyon tour I like, but they start from Poipu at either 8 or 9, so I will have to get up early that day!

7. Re: Tours to Waimea that start from North Shore.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, September 29, 2009