We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plate lunch?

Orange county
Level Contributor
353 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Plate lunch?

We are planning a vacation at the Princeville resort this May. Our first stay at this resort. We will eat a few meals there but when we visit Hawaii we like to eat where the locals do...the food is always better. This can range from plate lunches to shave ice.. to elegant restaurants etc.

Any suggestions close outside of the resort and around the island?

Thanks,

Becky

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,496 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plate lunch?

Best nice restaurants: Beach House; Hukilau Lanai (not necessarily in that order.)

Good restaurants: Coconuts, Dukes, JJ's Broiler (only for lunch on the deck), Kaua'i Pasta, Hula Girl, Poipu Beach Broiler, Cafe Coco, King & I Thai, Lighthouse Bistro

Good basic food: Shrimp Hut in Waimea, TC's Grill, Fish Hut, Kalapaki Beach Hut, Ono Charburger

Shave Ice: Jojo's Clubhouse in Waimea

Mediocre food but nice sunset view: Brennecke's

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plate lunch?

There are plenty of good places to eat in Hanalei, which is right next to Princeville. Hanalei is a great little village to get to know. The Hanalei Mixed Plate is right at the Ching Young shopping center. You can get shave ice at Paradise, right next to Java Kai, which is where we like to get a coffee and sit and watch the world. Tropical Taco is a favorite spot for lunch for us. Hanalei Gourmet is in that area as is Polynesia--both good, neither fancy. Our favorite for a nicer meal is Hanalei Dolphin as you come into town from Princeville. And we do like the overall experience at Zelo's, although the service was lacking when we were there last.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,496 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plate lunch?

Hanalei Mixed Plate is pau, unfortunately.

Orange county
Level Contributor
353 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plate lunch?

Thank you for your suggestions! I am so looking forward to masaladas(sp?), mixed plate lunches and lapperts with shave ice!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
2,632 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plate lunch?

An ice cream treat that we stumbled across on the last trip were Melona bars. Look like popsicles but it's an ice cream. Come in a few flavors, but the melon was exceptional. And cheap. Lapperts gets costly, but I could eat all the Melonas I wanted without thinking about what they were costing me.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plate lunch?

You are talking carbs!

Get malasadas, plain or cinnamon/sugar, at the green shack in front of K-Mart between 10 am and 3 (unless she runs out earlier). When you go to Hamura's for saimin (and, you will) ask if they have malasadas that day...but don't forget the pie! I have noticed somewhere on the left on the highway between Kealia Beach and

Anahola a big banner displaying "Malasadas". Going to get there on my next visit...mid-Feb.

Try Lappert's ice cream and I recommend Roselani Ice Cream very, very highly...try the java macadamia chocolate combos or whatever appeals to your buds. I have seen Roselani brand at Foodland and Safeway.

Koloa Fish Market and Sueoka's Market in Koloa town on the south side have local plates to go with fried fish, chicken katsu or beef or chicken terayaki, with scoops of rice, macaroni salad and mixed macaroni/potato salad.

Be sure to pick up a square of musubi: spam and rice held by a strip of seaweed. You will find musubi at counters in various stores like Whalers General or ABC Stores. Do ask for a packet of soy to sprinkle on.

Fish Express in Lihue, is across from WalMart. Local plates have laulau and kalua pork, lomi lomi (salmon with chopped onion/tomato sort of like a fresh salsa) and ahi poke (three types usually, wasabi, sesame or onion), scoop of rice and side of poi. I like poi with pork as it seems to cut through the saltiness. Otherwise, if I take plain poi back to the condo and eat it by itself, I sprinkle sugar on it.

Speaking of WalMart...you will get the best prices on "Killer Guacamole" and mango or bean salsas, as well as a quart of Hanalei poi, cream cheese, eggs and butter, in the chill chest and frozen food section.

Mama Lucy's on Rice Street (south side) down from Lee's Furniture is a tiny almost invisible hole in the wall with great Filipino plates You might enjoy chicken adobo and beef stew and side of pancit noodles. Ask if they have bibingka that day...a sweet rice dessert baked in a banana leaf or in a formed pan and sliced.

The Pono Market is on the main highway in Kapaa town just past the Pono Kai Condominiums on the right driving north. You can take out sushi and sashimi, poke (ahi or mussels), get pork or chicken laulau, teriyaki and spareribs. They have a coffee concession and grinder on the premises.

At Kauai Community College, traveling south, turn left at Puhi and go to Mark's Place down in the Puhi Industrial Park for chicken katsu or teriyaki beef and scoops or salad.

Garden Island BBQ on Rice St. has Chinese plate lunches to eat in or carry out...near and across the street from Mama Lucy's.

Under "Restaurants" read my review of Dani's Restaurant in Lihue. Really a local gem...I love it.

Thinking of dinner I recommend the Wailua Marina Restaurant for a real local feel and pleasant seating along the Wailua River. The building is lava rock and kind of dark and dreary, but I have enjoyed the salad bar with local tastes and the "special" stuffed pork chops. The DF shrimp dinner is great too. Actually, I remember I have photos of a 12-person condo bunch at lunch there...send your email address if you want to check it out. They close at 2:30 and open again at 5-5:30. I think they have an early-bird special but never could get there early. It is on the same short road as Smith's Tropical Garden and Luau on the south side of the river.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plate lunch?

I forgot the Lihue BBQ. It is a wonderful local experience, off Rice St on Kress, just before you get to Hamura's...lunch or dinner.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plate lunch?

Also, your Princeville Foodland has good "local" plates and sushi to go. I really like the island side of their deli.

Orange county
Level Contributor
353 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plate lunch?

oh my goodness! I want to go now....my mouth is watering! I thank you for all you suggestions. They have been saved in my trip file.

Becky

South Pacific
Level Contributor
4,562 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Plate lunch?

Plate lunches are few and far between in Princeville. There are some great places around the island though, especially in Lihue. Don't forget to try the legendary L & L BBQ.