We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the favorite restaurants in Princeville/Hanalei

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
What are the favorite restaurants in Princeville/Hanalei

What are your favorite restaurants in Princeville/Hanalei. I am looking for a restaurant for dinner, but I have no specifications as to type of food. Just interested in what is everyone's favorite.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,857 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the favorite restaurants in Princeville/Hanalei

Here are the places I ate in late August . . . Hanalei Dolphin- went there twice, the food and the service were excellent. Hanalei Gourmet - someone recommended their artichoke toast, and had a salad as well. Great food, extremely slow service, so just don't go if you are in a hurry. Neide's Salsa and Samba - one of the most affordable places on the North shore . . . had some great fish tacos and good service . . . like their view, can see a bit of the mtns while dining. Zelo's - good but not great - enjoyed dessert here. These were all in Hanalei . . . . wanted to try to new Bar Acuda - has gotten great reviews, but I was traveling with kids, and this wasn't the place to go with them. Happy dining! :)

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the favorite restaurants in Princeville/Hanalei

I like the Hanalei Gournet too -- a very laid back local place and yes sometimes slow service. We always stop there at least once when we're on island and have their crabcakes and tropical waldorf salad -- Great Stuff! I think that Zelo's is OK for lunch, but way overpriced and mediocre for dinner. Hanalei Dolphin has great fresh fish and you must pay dearly for it. But we do like to patronize their fish market behind the restaurant and cook our own.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
459 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the favorite restaurants in Princeville/Hanalei

We like the atmosphere at the Princeville Resort. Its pricey but we always do the champagne brunch. The Italian restaurant there is also good, name escapes me at the minute.

Definitely try CJ's Steakhouse in Princeville Center. I'm a filet mignon lover, and their sirloin was the best I have ever had - throw in the salad bar and fresh rolls, mmmmmm. Great value for the price considering its Hawaii. :)

I would pass on Zelos. We tried dinner there - I had a glass of wine that looked and tasted watered down, so asked for a new glass - even watched them open the bottle - but it was still yucky, so I don't know what it was. Like no pinot noir I ever tasted. I also had the fish and chips and the fish had a texture like chicken nuggets, dry and compact, not flakey and moist. My husband had the 'calamari' strips, but they were just plain weird and not very good. But even with that, we were in Hawaii! :)

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
468 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the favorite restaurants in Princeville/Hanalei

In July we enjoyed Polynesian Cafe, Bar Acuda (two thumbs up), and Tropical Taco. TT was the cheapest and probably the best food of the three, more casual, but very fresh and well made.

We thought Zelos smelled like a dumpster.

Enjoy!!!

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
301 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the favorite restaurants in Princeville/Hanalei

We've been visiting Kauai's north shore yearly for over 20 years and always hit Hanalei Cafe several times. As someone said, not a good place for fast service. <g> We also like the fast food, ok, kind of fast food, at Paradise Plate Lunch located in Ching Young Shopping Center. Hanalei Plate Lunch (also in Ching Young) was closed and for sale while we were there this summer, hopefully, it will be back up when we are there this August. For a special meal (and since we are retired teachers we tend not to eat at expensive places) we usually go to Hanalei Bay's Bali Hai Restaurant--the view is awesome, food is good. We're also fans of Paradise Cafe which used to be Auntie someone's and before that PizzaBurger. CJ's steak house is good. There is also an excellent restaurant around Tunnels Beach. Sorry, can't remember the new name (was once Charro's) but it's close to the Hanalei Bay Colony. Great views! AND, if you like Mexican food, there is a great place in Kapa'a. Again, I tend to go by landmarks rather than names, but it's on the main street, upstairs in a green building. You'll see open windows overlooking the street. Entrance is behind the building. We love sitting at the window looking down on the street playing "tourist car", "local car"! :O)

6. Re: What are the favorite restaurants in Princeville/Hanalei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 23, 2009