We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westin Princeville..beach access?

Charlotte - NC
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Topic
Westin Princeville..beach access?

One more question - I've been checking out the Westin Princeville web-site and Google Maps but I still can't figure out if there is beach access from the Westin property there? What is really interesting is that on Google Maps - the entire resort area is blank where the main buildings and pool is..it just shows a green field (does the NSA vacation at the Westin or something?).. <g>

But the resort does show up on Yahoo Maps..

Anyway - it looks like Anini Rd. is just east of the Westin..and there is a beach there..but I'm wondering if it is accessible from the Westin? Just wondering if Nana will need to get a shuttle to a beach..

Regards,

BeachAV8R

California
Level Contributor
38,025 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westin Princeville..beach access?

There is a very poor beach path to the right of the Westin that takes you down to an area at Anini Beach. The shuttle will take guests to either Anini or Puu Poa Beach where the sister property, St Regis is located. You can't use their pool or loungers by the pool, but they do have loungers on the grassy area for Westin guests. Nana needs to take the shuttle as does baby Kai. The pool at Westin is terrific for little ones. Kai will love it.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westin Princeville..beach access?

It's a hike down a long dirt path of approximately a mile or so. I would never stay at the Westin again. The worse experience of dozens of Hawaii vacations I have had. There are way better options in the Princeville/Hanalei area IMO.

Charlotte - NC
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Westin Princeville..beach access?

Thanks jebett - yes, the videos of the pool areas look spectacular..

dada - While I'm sure there are better properties on Kauai - they can't beat the price (free - we were gifted this stay..)..

Edit - Yeah..here is a view (aerial I assume) from beyond the cliffs oceanside..looks like it is way up on the bluffs there. Even if there was a trail/steps I don't think Nana would be up for going up and down that slope.. <g>

…homeaway.com/mda01/aaaab994-5e73-4172-bf0f-…

Immediate beach access would be nice - but isn't a big deal. We plan to be traveling all over the island anyway. I still think it's funny that the Google image doesn't show the resort. Is the Westin relatively new?

Edited: 1:13 pm, December 18, 2013
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westin Princeville..beach access?

Yes, the Westin was completed in 2008....if you mean the Google Earth view....it's from 2003. All of Princeville is up on a cliff area...roughly 200 feet above the ocean.

And I agree, you can't beat FREE.

3Chihuahuas

Charlotte - NC
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Westin Princeville..beach access?

Ah..2003 imagery..that explains it! I guess the 200' is great for views. Is there any chance of seeing whales spouting in late January offshore from the cliffs? If so, we might bring some binoculars..!

California
Level Contributor
38,025 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westin Princeville..beach access?

Yes to whales.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westin Princeville..beach access?

This aerial view of the resort is telling in that there is no easy beach access identified: hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/ka…

Yes, you should always bring binoculars during whale season!

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westin Princeville..beach access?

We had one of those Starwood $700 5 night/car deals they offer to try and get you to do the timeshare thing. Even at that price I wished we had stayed somewhere else. Mobbed with kids and very sterile feeling. But for free it's a no brainer I guess. My business partner just stayed there recently and felt pretty much the same way.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westin Princeville..beach access?

Always bring binoculars...whale season or not! We have a travel pair that fits into the back pocket of the camera case...so both are always with us.

3Chihuahuas

Charlotte - NC
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Westin Princeville..beach access?

Well, good news is that the people who gave it to us for the week already own the timeshare - so we can give them the Heisman move anytime they approach us about purchasing. Kids will be fine since we are bringing a 4-year old..guess we will be contributing to the "mob"... <wink>

Looking forward to visiting, sterile or not..

BeachAV8R