We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Place to stay in Princeville - Pu'u Poa, Puamana, or....?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Place to stay in Princeville - Pu'u Poa, Puamana, or....?

Hey guys, thanks in advance for your help. Searching for condo vacation rentals in Kauai around new years is exhausting!

My girlfriend and I (early 30's) are looking for a place in the north shore Jan 7-12th. We want to cook in some nights, but wouldn't mind a night out or two.

Does anyone have any general advice of my three or four considerations of places to stay in Princeville?

-Pu'u Poa 201 or 209

- Puamana 12A

-Pali Ke Kua 230

Or, perhaps, any other location up that way?

The cost is considerably different between Pu'u Poa and other places...so I was wondering if it was that much better, or if it's just proximity to the ocean that is increasing the costs...

thanks again for your help!

Nick

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Place to stay in Princeville - Pu'u Poa, Puamana, or....?

Pu'u Poa and Pali Ke Kua are much more visitor condos. Puamana is not in the same class, IMHO.

California
Level Contributor
37,635 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Place to stay in Princeville - Pu'u Poa, Puamana, or....?

Totally agree with Shanty. Puu Poa is the nicest of the ones mentioned. Next is Pali Ke Kua but by a mile.

I know 209 at PP and its ok. 201 is near the parking lot of St Regis.

You have lots of other choices:

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/4202.html (nicer than pix depict)

www.summitpacificinc.com/puu-poa-412.html (pay more but get more)

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/9202.html (fabulous bluff views)

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/6222.html (nice views and new furniture not in pix)

www.summitpacificinc.com/pali-ke-kua-222.html

http://www.summitpacificinc.com/5303.html

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
680 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Place to stay in Princeville - Pu'u Poa, Puamana, or....?

Puamana will not be your cup of tea. skip it

Puu Poa has great views, but they seem IMO to be very Miami vice...ish and costly (still can't go wrong)

Pali Ke Kua are nice if you can get one that has a great view plus they have their own paved path to the beach.

Try looking into Hanalei Bay Resort, good views, better amenities.

Emmalani Court, small, clean, A/C, with a private never busy pool.

All are within walking distance to St. Regis.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
607 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Place to stay in Princeville - Pu'u Poa, Puamana, or....?

There are vast differences amongst the various units at Puu Poa. The building itself is a rare animal on Kauai in that it is very solid poured concrete construction that provides excellent sound control between adjoining units. Each unit has some 2,000 plus square feet of which some 700-800 feet is in the form of two lanai areas that face the ocean. Both units you are considering on Puu Poa's second floor (a 1/2 flight of stairs down from the parking lot level at the property since the buildings are built cut into the clift ala the architecture of the next door St. Regis Hotel) and have eight foot ceilings. Unit 201 is an end corner unit directly aside the parking lot of the St. Regis Hotel and is directly above the Puu Poa swimming pool area. Unit 209 is an interior unit, but captures a better view of fabulous Bali Hai and the nightly sunsets. Private message me if you wish more information specific to any Puu Poa unit.

Hanalei Bay Resort (HBR) also bears your consideration as a lovely property I would favor over Pali Ke Kua.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Place to stay in Princeville - Pu'u Poa, Puamana, or....?

Thank you so much jebett. Appreciate it.

Regarding 209 specifically, do you know anything about the validity of this review?

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60626-d8738…

Anyway, I think our main motivators (besides a great view, which HBR does offer) may be sound of ocean at night. So staying on the water would be of significant interest to us. Any further advice there?

Thanks again, so much, for your help!

California
Level Contributor
37,635 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Place to stay in Princeville - Pu'u Poa, Puamana, or....?

Nick,

If you read down a few reviews the same condo has a 5 star.

Generally 209 is fine. Maybe the owner hasn't been over in a while to check on maintenance issues. I have no idea.

I'm a little confused by your question about HBR. So you want to hear the ocean at night? Some units at HBR will give you that. Check out the 9000 building.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
607 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Place to stay in Princeville - Pu'u Poa, Puamana, or....?

Hi Nick ---

Yes, the Puu Poa condominium complex is VERY CLOSE to the ocean's edge and you should enjoy the sounds of the surf, particularly during the "winter" months you are visiting Kauai. The ocean sound will be more muted in Puu Poa units ending in the digits 01, 02, 03, 07, 08, 09, 13, 14 simply because of the amount of setback those particular units have from the ocean cliff or the fact units ending in 13 and 14 face away from Hanalei Bay and the direct ocean waves.

The importance of local QUALITY control of maintenance and cleaning issues cannot be understated. You are therefore quite wise to be sensitive to any reports of lack of care, no matter how lovely the rental property's location, photographs, virtual tour, etc appear to be.... That is where the Reviews posted here on Trip Advisor can be worth their weight in gold.... I will Private Message you with other possibilities at Puu Poa.

Edited: 10:55 am, December 12, 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Place to stay in Princeville - Pu'u Poa, Puamana, or....?

awesome guys, thanks so much for your help so far!

Nick

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,137 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Place to stay in Princeville - Pu'u Poa, Puamana, or....?

Surprised if you wanted the sound of the ocean, you did not pick The Cliffs or Sealodge or the front units of Alli Kai. Be aware that the ocean can be really booming in the winter here. We can hear it and we are in a condo across a golf course and a set of condos from the ocean.

10. Re: Place to stay in Princeville - Pu'u Poa, Puamana, or....?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 14, 2014