We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping at Hanalei Bay Resort?

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping at Hanalei Bay Resort?

We will be staying at HBR for two weeks this August. There are 9 of us staying in a 3 bedroom unit on the third floor. I was wondering if tipping was expected when we are transported around with carts to/from the parking lot or the beach? I am anticipating at least one Costco run, and that will be a lot to get to the condo.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,163 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping at Hanalei Bay Resort?

I don't know what is 'expected' but helping transport to your condo Costco supplies for 9 people for 2 weeks definitely warrants a good tip no matter what the norm is.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,831 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping at Hanalei Bay Resort?

We tipped the driver of the shuttle when he helped us with our luggage at check in and check out.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping at Hanalei Bay Resort?

Of course you should tip the driver.

3Chihuahuas

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping at Hanalei Bay Resort?

Is tipping appropriate for transporting all of you and your stuff back & forth?

YES.

California
Level Contributor
37,615 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping at Hanalei Bay Resort?

The golf cart attendant service is part of the resort fee you will pay, but if the driver brings down groceries and luggage then it would be very nice if you tipped them. When I arrived I had a ton of things. I tipped the attendant, Tommy, $10. If I need a ride now and then just to my car, then no I don't tip.

If you have as many people as you say, a generous tip would certainly go along way. Kipo is the attendant in the morning and he has been with the resort for 12 years. He is a wealth of information and the best guy. Tommy and Ryan work very hard for HBR and you will like them too.

I see many people who don't tip so its not like they stick their hand out, but if you do slide them a dollar or two they appreciate the gesture.

Its a beautiful day here at HBR and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have this week.

If you need any advice just PM me.

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
39 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping at Hanalei Bay Resort?

Thank you all for the input. I would definitely tip someone helping me with luggage, groceries, etc. I just wasn't sure what the protocol was for the drivers to the beach, etc. It is good to know ahead of time as we don't usually travel with much $. We are all so very excited about our visit to Kauai! It is hot as anything here in New Jersey.

Morro Bay...
Level Contributor
813 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping at Hanalei Bay Resort?

You will LOVE Kauai and HBR is one of our favorite places to stay on the island. Have a wonderful time in paradise! Aloha.

new york
Level Contributor
19 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping at Hanalei Bay Resort?

We were just there and we tipped at check-in, check-out, for grocery runs. We also tipped Tommy and Ryan each ~10 during our stay because we used the service a lot and those guys work really hard.

9. Re: Tipping at Hanalei Bay Resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 31, 2014