We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timer - hotel vs rental by owner and location advice

Which Princeville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
27 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First timer - hotel vs rental by owner and location advice

Im heading to kaui in oct for a friends wedding in hanali bay - my boyfriend and I are looking to book 4 nights near the wedding site - either hanalai or princeville? We also are far more partial to hotels but it seems like mainly everything is rental by owner outside the st regis which is outside our range? Trying to figure out the best route and location for us - we're in our mid thirties, looking to be somewhere we can walk to beachs, restaurants/bars...but also some place with a view and a pool to relax. It's usually so easy to book a hotel in a vacation paradise!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,079 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timer - hotel vs rental by owner and location advice

Kaua`i has very few hotels; most accommodations are condos. Lots of condos in Princeville, but really no restaurants in walking distance. You could look into a cottage in Hanalei, but I suspect that may be out of your price range. Might I suggest Hanalei Bay Resort? It's condos/timeshares in a very nice setting. There's a pool and some spectacular views. You can be driven by golf cart down to the beach. You'd have to drive to restaurants, though. Note that conditions at north shore beaches can start to be iffy in October.; it''s a transition month.

I guess Kaua`i is unique, as paradises go.

California
Level Contributor
35,241 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timer - hotel vs rental by owner and location advice

Hanalei Bay Resort sounds like what you are looking for if you can't afford the very expensive St Regis next door.

Rent from a private owner only and do not go through sites like Hotels.com etc. If you do, you are sure to get a not up to date unit. Those are timeshare rooms not being used. Your experience will be very different if you rent through a private party. I know as I own there. HBR will give you the views you are seeking, but besides walking to the St Regis to eat ($$$$$) you will indeed need to drive 5-15 minutes for restaurants. The beach below is pretty protected from large waves except way out beyond the reef, but its rocky in areas so be careful. There are nice trees for shade and you can aways enjoy a drink at the St Regis poolside bar.

Check out available condos (studios, suites, one bedrooms would all work depending on your budget) on sites like Parrish, Summit Pacific or VRBO.

vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/…hanalei-bay-resort

summitpacificinc.com/hanalei_bay_resort.html

California
Level Contributor
35,241 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timer - hotel vs rental by owner and location advice

PS

Though not good direct beach access, Westin is another option. These are timeshares too, but they rent out like a hotel also.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
394 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timer - hotel vs rental by owner and location advice

That the dilema with the Hanalei/Princeville areas - can't have it all without spending big $. Staying in Hanalei is awesome though it is a total PITA trying to find a place. The good news is that at least there should be more openings unlike the summer.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timer - hotel vs rental by owner and location advice

I'd urge you to look at the cottages in Hanalei for a number of reasons:

1) Real beach access. The condos in Princeville are on a high bluff so even those with better access require a walk down to the water. And to second tier beaches IMO.

2) It's more of a town with things to walk to so that you're not worrying about blood alcohol level getting home.

3) Closer to your wedding so easier to play with the other guests.

You do give up the pool/view so you'll have to decide which set of goodies means more to you. This is the big drawback of the north shore vs. Poipu.

6. Re: First timer - hotel vs rental by owner and location advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, August 23, 2013