We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommend seafood restaurant /w decent atmosphere + price?

canada
Level Contributor
222 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Recommend seafood restaurant /w decent atmosphere + price?

hello, was planning a small somewhat casual bday dinner. preferrably somewhere on the northshore as we are in princeville. can someone recommend a restaurant that serves good Ahi Tuna with decent atmosphere? something not too fancy but not too casual either (eg. pay and sitdown places). Something like lighthouse bistro would be fine. I looked at Hanalei gourmet and it looked a little too casual.

i'm looking at Lighthouse Bistro and it looks pretty good. Any opinions or other recommendations?

thanks!

California
Level Contributor
9,707 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommend seafood restaurant /w decent atmosphere + price?

hanaleidolphin.com/…

Have you checked out Hanalei Dolphin? Mediterranean Gourmet might be an option, but they feature fresh island fish, so they might not always have Ahi; you'd have to call.

California
Level Contributor
37,635 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommend seafood restaurant /w decent atmosphere + price?

Dolphin would have more atmosphere than Lighthouse. Dolphin does not take reservations and are very busy and popular. I suggest going around 5:30. Lighthouse Bistro has a new chef and menu so I can't recommend it yet but I liked it in the past. Bouchons had excellent Ahi when I was there, but its usually a special item of the day so you would need to ask when making a reservation if its on the menu. Bouchons is casual but if you book a table by the window its fun to see Hanalei go by with the mountains in the distance. If you like sushi order the tsunami roll.

Postcards is another option for a more special occasion but their prices are pretty high. I think even Kalypsos had an ahi special but I like it for lunch better than dinner.

LaConner, Washington
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommend seafood restaurant /w decent atmosphere + price?

We would recommend the Hukilau Lanai in Kapaa behind the Coconut Market. Their wine and tasting meal is a great value. They have local music on weekends. And the pool bar is friendly and lively too. Not cheap but a good value. Outside dining but far from the beach.

Enjoy!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommend seafood restaurant /w decent atmosphere + price?

My advise would be in order: Hukilau Lanai, Nanea (in the Westin), Dolphin.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,825 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommend seafood restaurant /w decent atmosphere + price?

If the Hukilau doesn't have Ahi on the dinner menu, they do have a Ahi Poke Nachos pupu that is excellent. You would like the Hukilau - you can see the ocean from there, so very nice atmosphere but it is not North Shore.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommend seafood restaurant /w decent atmosphere + price?

My favorite restaurant on the north shore is The Mediterranean Gourmet in Haena (about 15-20 minutes past Hanalei). Very casual and depending on the evening, they have entertainment and 1/2 price wine on Wednesdays. They always have fresh fish on the menu but it will depend on what was caught recently. Call ahead to make sure they have Ahi (which they normally do). http://www.kauaimedgourmet.com/

7. Re: Recommend seafood restaurant /w decent atmosphere + price?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:42 am, June 21, 2013