We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

random things

United States
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
random things

n.shore general store ---surprisingly ONO and great value! amazing that a gas station that's >5.00/gal has a cafe that sells delicious reasonably priced food.;)

Tahiti nui- what took me so long to get my butt there?!?! great atmosphere, friendly folks, nice entertainment and cheap suds.

HBR-- OK, so the unit is stunning just like the photos, but we are both wishing we were back at emmalani instead. :( just a personal preference space-wise and amenity wise and location wise. (plus we got really annoyingly noisy neighbors who insist on being loud at 5am).

I want to end this on a happy note so-- today looms fabulous- sun shining and picture perfect. can't wait to get out there!

East Coast
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: random things

How crowded is Tahiti Nui now? What time did you go?

We were there last year October before the movie and it was packed.

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: random things

Is Mahi really on the menu?? :)

Lori

United States
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: random things

we went on Sunday night around 7 and there were seats at the bar and a few tables. I was surprised! expected a big crowd.

there def was fish on the menu but I forgot to note if Mahi;)

I did sit in the same seat that clooney appeared to in the movie so my day was complete! ha ha.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,355 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: random things

"Tahiti nui- what took me so long to get my butt there?!?! great atmosphere, friendly folks, nice entertainment and cheap sud"

We went there in Oct. before the movie and loved it after a couple disappointing meals at the St. Regis. Usually are in Poipu for dinner, so hadn't a chance to try it before.

It was just so friendly and our food was excellent. I bought a CD from the entertainer that evening to remind us of a great night.

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: random things

I want to sit in Georges chair too!

Thanks for the info!

Have a wonderful, rest of your trip!

~Lori

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: random things

whatever you do, don't sit on the other side of the bar at the Nui! That's local territory. LOL! On our first visit many years ago we were very politely moved around the corner by one of the regulars. He suggested we would be more comfortable there as they focused a fan to offer a breeze. Even then we were unwittingly drawn to local territory. Actually in the movie you see quite a few of the locals in their section of the bar. Great to see so many familiar faces!

Edited: 10:17 am, April 26, 2012
Middletown...
Level Contributor
874 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: random things

You mean the small bar area to the right as you walk in and where you are facing the stage through an opening? That's where we always sit if we can't get a table inside! Some memorable alcohol-fueled conversations with locals there :-) My memory is not so good on these things, but I think that is exactly where George and Jeff Bridges sat... There is also the tiny wine bar they have next door, but you can't see the music from in there. Another tip we learned is that if you are nice (or they are feeling nice that day) you can order off the wine bar menu as well if you are sitting at the Nui bar or at an outside table.

United States
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: random things

I sat there but thankfully no one gave me the stink eye!

United States
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: random things

hiked the nualolo-cliff-awaawapuhi loop today (11.5 miles). I can't find the words to describe the views other than breathtaking. we had a helicopter fly up alongside us as we were out on the vista. what an experience.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: random things

amazing isn't it?! We once shared a picnic at one of the overlooks with a military man who had done the full Napali hike roundtrip in one day - the day before! I kinda resented sharing our huli huli chicken as I struggled to suck oxygen on the way back up! Oh what a magical hike!