We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping in January/February

Which Princeville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kimberley, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Camping in January/February

Hi,

My husband and two kids aged 4 and 6 are hoping to go camping in Kauai for two weeks (last week of Jan and first week of Feb). I've read that camping isn't particularly safe in some areas. Does anyone have any recommendations? We are planning on the south side for the sake of weather.

We also have another challenge - as we are flying stand-by and there is a chance we won't make it there if the planes are full, I'm reluctant to book car or campsites in advance. Is this crazy? If so, we may need to look at another destination.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tracey

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,370 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping in January/February

Salt Pond is a nice campsite. As far as i know you do need to get permits in advance.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping in January/February

Best to have some sort of car res. Most don't require a cc to book though prices are cheaper via the prepaid outfits like Priceline/Hotwire sometimes.

Camping in Jan/Feb could be awfully wet. Might want to pick a safer time of year if possible.

What do you plan to do if you get here and there are no permits left? That's unlikely that time of year but still.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camping in January/February

Here's the info on the county campgrounds, you'll need to move every 7 days as they close each for maintenance.

kauai.gov/Government/…Default.aspx

I would NOT try camping at Hanamaulu Beach Park - there's always been some real sketchy folks around there. Probably not at Anahola on the weekend either - this is a real local's place on the weekend.

I would not try arriving without a car reservation - you could be looking at a shortage of cars and/or sky high rates. Reserve a car thru http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

No money upfront for the resv, change - cancel anytime. Just call if you don't make the flight.

Personally, I can't imagine camping for two weeks with small kids, especially that time of year, but that's up to you. I'd have a back-up plan on accommodations in-case your plans get rained out.

Good luck,

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
35,831 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camping in January/February

You will also need to move around as campsites shut down on certain days.

I am with 3chis on camping for 14 days in the dead of winter.... You might want to mix it up a bit and stay at an inexpensive hotel for some of the time. Your kids would probably thank you and you can relax!

You can book your car now and cancel 24 hours before. You don't give them credit card information until you get there....if you get there. Feb is busy, busy, busy, on the island and I would book something now.

Not sure if they started this or not (maybe Dave knows) but I heard they were opening up Lydgate for camping. That might be a good spot if the weather is nice. Other camp sites I know about and are nice (weather permitting) is Heana and Anini. Just be flexible because you never know what old man weather has up his sleeve that time of the year. The West side could get the rain and the North could be nice. I've seen that happen in Feb.

LA
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Camping in January/February

Are you sure you can fly standby?

I know in the US, standby no longer exists because of security reasons.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,871 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Camping in January/February

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'd recommend the West Side for camping during January/February - it is always the warmest and driest part of the island at any time of the year - especially during the winter.

Salt Pond County Park is a wonderful beach park with all the amenities and it is very popular for camping.

Also if you really want to "get away from it all" you can camp at Polihale State Park - which is amazingly beautiful but very far away from any conveniences such as grocery stores, etc.

Both are considered safe camping places here - IMO.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
35,831 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Camping in January/February

<<I know in the US, standby no longer exists because of security reasons.>>

Could be airline personel or military.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,395 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Camping in January/February

I'd be interested in knowing how standby would work also. Used to be you needed to be at the gate (waiting), but you can't get to a gate now without a ticket.....

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
35,831 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Camping in January/February

Welcome to tonight's spammer!

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,665 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Camping in January/February

to the OP, if you're flying standby as an airline employee, i would have plan B and plan C lined up.... when we fly to hawaii, we get tix (ID 90's or ZED fares) for several other airlines, just in case.... you can always get a refund from your company (air canada?) if you don't use them....

and i would agree with the other posters----get a hotel room for at least a coupla nites throughout your stay.... a nice shower and clean bed goes a long way! i dunno if you've ever been to hawaii before, but the state and county parks are not as developed as they are on the mainland...and that includes canada...... if you're used to the provincial and national parks, you'll find the hawaii parks are not up to the same standards, especially in the trail maintenance and campground departments... i know i'll probably catch some flak for the above statements, but i called it the way i've seen it....

Edited: 11:08 pm, November 23, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Princeville