We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for enjoyable experience with older teenagers

london
2 posts
Save Topic
looking for enjoyable experience with older teenagers

We are looking for a condo or resort that will offer older teenagers fun with others around their age. A nice pool area as well as close proximity to surfing and snorkeling would be of interest. We are overwhelmed and looking for advice.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for enjoyable experience with older teenagers

Hi Golda. We just returned from Kauai and loved the pool that we had at Pahio at Ke'o Kai. Although in the two weeks we stayed on the island we only used the pool three days because we LOVED driving to different beaches. If my teenagers were with they would have loved Hanalei Bay. There is a concrete pier and you can park your car right on the sand beach. Surf boards are available for rent and instructors are there to teach (my kids would have LOVED that!) There are also a few roadside stands that will rent you snorkeling equipment (for about five dollars for 24 hours, not much more for the whole week).

If you end up going to the south side of the island (Poipu) there is all kinds of beach activity there too, along with snorkel vendors.

We took a catamaran cruise (Captain Andy's) that lasted for 5 1/2 hours that allowed us to snorkel for 1 hour. That was our first time snorkeling and we loved it so much that we rented from the roadside vendors afterwards. I think that would appeal to teenagers.

They would probably like the "zip-line" tours. I don't know a lot about them but you could check into that. A lot of people we met really enjoyed the kyaking that seemed to be offered in several places, among them, Hanalei.

Don't be put off by the North shore being on the "rainy" side. From my experience I will say it is like the misters that come on in the grocery store to mist the vegetables occaisionally. It happens daily, but not for long. We were in awe of the beauty of the North Shore. We liked the south side and ventured there because the island is so small and we wanted to see everything. The south side is a lot drier and more desert-like. I think you would be happy anywhere you stay. You'll have a car to explore and with so many things to see the kids shouldn't get bored.

Have a wonderful time on your trip to Kauai.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for enjoyable experience with older teenagers

Hi Golda,

We've made two trips to Kauai with our teens. Both times we stayed at condos at Kiahuna Plantation on Poipu Beach. They took surf lessons with other teens, also boogie boarded, snorkeled, and just enjoyed the beach. Next door is the Sheraton with several pools and tennis courts, which our teens used. Nearby is Old Koloa Town, with fun shops and restaurants. Good things to do with teens? We did the ATV trip, and even kayaked the entire 17 miles of the Napali Coast - the teens did better than my husband and I, but we all finished it and what an experience it was! I bought the book Kauai Revealed, and we did lots of the things in the book, such as hiking to waterfalls to swim in the pools below. Let me know if you want more info!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,118 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for enjoyable experience with older teenagers

luvz, you can use the Sheraton pool if you're not staying there?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for enjoyable experience with older teenagers

Kiahuna Plantations condos are offered through two different properties. Our first stay at Kiahuna Plantation was through Castle, and use of the pool and tennis courts at the Sheraton was included. This was three summers ago. On our most recent visit (last summer) we stayed through Outrigger, and we had use of the pool and facilities across the street.