We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Princeville Hotel - how bad is it?

Boston
11 posts
Save Topic
Help! Princeville Hotel - how bad is it?

Please help! A couple months ago, my fiancee and I booked our "dream" honeymoon (this June) at the Princeville Hotel. Now, I've logged on TA to read about the planned renovations and dilapidated rooms. I know the renovations don't start until August/Sept, but what do they imply about the quality of the hotel? From those who've stayed recently, how bad is it? Should we cancel? Will there be a problem with service as we near the renovation date with employees quitting since the hotel will close? Any help you can provide would be appreciated. If you suggest cancelling, where should we go? I've heard to definitely stay on the North Island during the summer, but what other resort options are there? I'm now thinking I need to go to another island to have the same quality I was expecting at Princeville. Help!

California
Level Contributor
37,964 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Princeville Hotel - how bad is it?

Do not panic. You will be fine. Employees are staying and though many rooms need updating, hopefully you will get a nice room. The hotel, overall, still gets good reviews. One thing people do comment on is the price for things like drinks and food. I remember having lunch by the pool a few months ago and thinking what I can eat for under $25. Actually their chicken/pesto sandwich was excellent. I do know people who are paying $500/nt expect top notch as you should. The hotel does have some issues that need addressing and that is why in Sept they are closing for 9 months to address that. The furniture is older, the bedding older, but I still think it is one of the most beautiful places on the island. The views are soooo romantic. It will take your breathe away! The other option on the North shore is Hanalei Bay Resort, but these are privately owned condos and therefore not the service level of the PH. You could look into staying at the Hyatt in Poipu. Again, I think overall you should be quite happy at PH. If you feel your room isn't up to your standards it is a large hotel and I'm sure they will move you. They love honeymooners so make sure they know this is your special time. Congratulations.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Princeville Hotel - how bad is it?

I haven't been in a room in half a decade but did wander through the lobby recently.

The main areas look as polished as ever. Outside there are some areas that are looking a bit tired (walkways etc). Your best bet is to look at the reviews in the Hotel section and see what people are saying. My gut is that while the P-ville is no longer worth what they charge, it's still a nice resort. You could always try to wangle an upgrade to a suite in exchange for not cancelling (no cost to try).

The other plush resort is the Hyatt down south. Or shift your plans to Maui where there is a greater choice of 5 star resorts. Poipu is pretty hot in August and would be a desert without massive irrigation but the Hyatt is a pretty nice resort albeit priced beyond value IMO.

California
Level Contributor
37,964 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Princeville Hotel - how bad is it?

Dave:

"Poipu is pretty hot in August". I think they are going in June.

In regards to 5 star resorts on Maui, I was just reading the Grand Wailea is going through the same issues as the Princeville. Older, outdated rooms. The Four Seasons is probably a lovely choice.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Princeville Hotel - how bad is it?

Princeville is stil one of the most gorgeous places IMO. Sure it is a little outdated and is slated for renovation for a reason, but the setting and just the really great service is worth it. As another person said, the lobby is still gorgeous and is in the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon. I wouldn't suggest for you to reschedule unless you are paying a really high price and it just would not be worth the money, in your mind. And as for going to a different island, nothing can truly compare to the North Shore of Kauai....

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Princeville Hotel - how bad is it?

oops -- June is still pretty warm on the south side but much nicer than Aug. It's really more a matter of whether the trade die or not as the avg temps aren't that different.

thanks for the catch J.

Boston
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Princeville Hotel - how bad is it?

thank you all for your assurances. they are very helpful. we feel we got a pretty good deal (we did the special offering 5 nights for the price of 4 with 35% off the daily room rate). i think we're going to stay, but are still worried. our plan is to do half our honeymoon on Kauai, and we're still trying to pick another island for the other half (thinking big island - good combo?). thanks again everybody

Swartz Creek...
Level Contributor
73 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Princeville Hotel - how bad is it?

If I wasn't familiar with the Princeville Hotel I would be nervous too---the reviews make it sound shabby! My husband and I stayed there two years ago for our wedding/honeymoon and it was fabulous! You won't be disappointed. Its location is incomparable. Congrats!

California
Level Contributor
37,964 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Princeville Hotel - how bad is it?

It is a fact that many rooms do need updating. The hotel is not going to do anything about that from now until Sept. You could get a poor room, but again just politely inform them it is your honeymoon and you would like a nicer room. You did get a good deal. I know Janet (koloagirl) stayed in one of the rooms on the lower level near the pool a few months ago, and enjoyed it, but those rooms (IMO) are very moldy. I could smell it as I was walking through and peeked in one that the maid was cleaning. If I were paying $400 (or even $300) I would ask to be moved. It is still a beautiful location and it will take your breath away. Just read every review so you are informed the good, the bad and the unpleasant. You can also private message reviewers and ask them other questions.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Princeville Hotel - how bad is it?

Jeff - The 35% off with the free night is a standard Starwood discount. You can find it with some variation at Westins and Sheraton all over the islands.

If you have done a search, you've probably read my comments before. We loved the views and the breakfast on the patio. The pool is wonderful (as were the key lime pie smoothies!). Problems - mosquitos infestation in our room (and all the rooms along our hall). Staff did nothing. We went shopping for mosquito netting! Imagine having to hang mosquito netting in a 5 star place like the Princeville Resort. We weren't successful, and slept UNDER the sheets for five nights. No lanais!

Restaurants - great for breakfast but an overly exotic menu for dinner. Very expensive - because they were the only show in town. No other options in the hotel, aside from limited room service. We did find another excellent restaurant on the peninsula owned by a family from Marin County. Don't remember the name.

No way we would go back until after the renovation.

Frankly, I would go to Ka'anapali (Maui) or South Maui.

Boston
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Princeville Hotel - how bad is it?

BLBL, that doesn't sound good. is the mosquito problem seasonal? when were you there? thanks