We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Article on Larry Rivera

Which Princeville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
35,609 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Article on Larry Rivera

There is a very nice article in Sunday's Wall Street Journal on Larry Rivera, also known as "Uncle Larry". Larry still performs wedding ceremonies on the grounds of the Coco Palms. The article also gives information on the past and future of this old time Kauai hotel. Thought you'd like to know.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Article on Larry Rivera

Also, go to WSJ online:

http://online.wsj.com/public/us

Click on the video with Larry hosting a Coco Palms wedding vow renewal and celebration.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Article on Larry Rivera

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Whoa! Uncle Larry making news in the "Wall Street Journal"!!! Now that is something!

Go Uncle!

Malama Pono,

Janet

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
607 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Article on Larry Rivera

YES, Jebett was so great to post this fact.

AND, Uncle Larry's article was on the Wall Street Journal's front page !

Really brought tears to our eyes about such wonderful times staying at the grand Coco Palms Resort and under the care of its superb General Manager Grace Guslander - she is REALLY missed by so many of us who had the good fortune to know her.

California
Level Contributor
35,609 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Article on Larry Rivera

DickGoode:

Have you bought the "History of the Coco Palms" book? I gave it to my father in law last week for his birthday. He was born and raised on the island and as he was glancing through it I could tears in his eyes. All those wonderful pictures of the hotel and people who worked there. He saw many familiar faces. It is a wonderful historical guide to the island and the popularity of the Coco Palms. I sure hope the county and state can come up with a plan to revive that area. A lovely park with boat rides and a chapel for Uncle Larry to continue his tradition of wedding ceremonies. Wouldn't that be a good "development" on the island?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
607 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Article on Larry Rivera

Dear Jebett ---

Absolutely correct, you are "right on" again !

The "History of Coco Palms" book has a treasured place reserved for it in our wall unit bookcase...

What a fantastic history that captures so much of the wonderful charm and Aloha exuded by Larry, Grace, and the entire Kauai staff of the resort.

Again Yes, I am actually pleased that the planned condo project on its ground is not to be - the artist renderings suggested to us that too little of the original beauty of the property was going to be retained by the developers. Indeed, let's hope Kauai County pulls the trigger on converting this site into a beautiful public park for all island residents & visitors to enjoy, AND retains the wedding chapel for Larry to continue his lovely traditions....

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Article on Larry Rivera

That was a great story. I enjoyed the video on it. It was good to see him looking so good. He renewed our vows for us at Hauola at Lydgate park. At the time he was having some medical issues.

I stayed at Coco Palms a couple times as a kid and remember it fondly. The torch lighter, the fish feeding and collecting coconuts. My wife and I went on a day trip to Kauai in 02 and I wanted to surprise her with a vow renewal and show her the Coco Palms. I found both when I came across Larry. Larry and I communicated through email and set up to meet at Coco Palms then head to Lydgate. And my wife had no idea. He did a beautiful ceremony and played his guitar and sang for us. Some of it in Hawaiian. He is a great man and a Champion for a great cause.

California
Level Contributor
35,609 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Article on Larry Rivera

Seems to me your name should be "dreaminofkauai". You made your wife's dream come true, you romantic you!

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Article on Larry Rivera

We'll see. We actually will have a full week there and on Hawaii the end of May. First time for both at least that length of time. I'm sure it will be Dreaminoftheislands after this trip. I know each island has it's own character and will hold place in our hearts.

9. Re: Article on Larry Rivera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, September 22, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Princeville