We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kayak tour

idaho
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
kayak tour

any recc's for the wauilua river and sectet falls kayak tour? Is it worth it? I see their are several companies... any opinions would be helpful. :)

South Dakota
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: kayak tour

I am sure that some of the experts will chime in here for you. We are renting kayaks and doing the Wailua/secret falls on our own. Cost is total of $78 from Wailua kayak & canoe. Guided tours are from Outfitters, Kayak Kauai, and a couple others.

Orange County, CA
Level Contributor
870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kayak tour

We rented two singles for $50 from Wailua Kayak Adventures in Kapa'a. The owners were super friendly, and they give you everything you need (including a good map). They even had some friendly office kitties. It was very easy to get the kayaks on the car and to the landing. I'd recommend getting a double though, as the winds on the way back can get pretty brutal. They offered a tour too, I think it was $78 for a couple.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kayak tour

We did the Wailua river/secret falls (not so secret) trip ourselves and just rented a Kayak. Do not do the guided tour since the Kayak companies have good maps and it is not a hard trail to hike or follow.

A tour will only deminish the adventure. There are plenty of people who hike this trial daily and you will find 20-30 people at the falls at any one time. It's a beautiful spot and very popular....don't be fooled by the name. :)

Jersey Shore, New...
Level Contributor
107 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kayak tour

We also did this on our own but rented our kayaks (one double for hubby & I and once single for our 20-year old son) from Wailua Kayak & Canoe (808-821-1188). Our rates were a little higher than the other outfit mentioned, but we did not have to transport our kayaks by car as Wailua Kayak & Canoe is right there on the river.... making it even more convenient than the one mentioned above (in my opinion).

We loved paddling the Wailua on our own. We did the Hule'ia river with a tour (Outfitters Kauai - which was a great outfit!) a few days earlier and it was fantastic too... especially since we had not kayaked in several years and the mini lesson in the beginning was quite helpful.

My advice is if you have some experience kayaking, rent your own kayaks and do your own thing... save the money for something else you'd like to do.

idaho
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kayak tour

so it seems pple think this kayak/river trip is worth doing? we are leaning towards renting on our own in the am with wailua canoe and kayak...this would be the only touristy thing we do this time and the rest of the time we would be eating, hiking, and snorkeling/beaching it.

covington,la
Level Contributor
801 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kayak tour

We did this yesterday and really enjoyed it. We rented for Wailua Kayak and Canoe. We prob should have paid more attention to the dude at the boats (not the friendliest gent), But it was very cool. The kayak back was a bit of work but not terrible. The waterfall is beautiful....but..while under the waterfall..Something BIT ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We have decided to agree it was a crab, it was on my thumb and I scared the poop out of everyone when I screamed. Another girl got bit too but was less bothered, gives me something coll to talk about.

idaho
Level Contributor
180 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kayak tour

maria rn, so you rented on your own/did on your own, not with a tour? have you river kayad before? did they give good instruction/technique before you left? did you do am or pm? was it hard to find the pull out for the falls hike or hard to find the trail?

Thanks!

covington,la
Level Contributor
801 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kayak tour

sorry for the delay-we are home now

the trip was moderate. Instructions were a bit lacking, but the kayaking was very obvious. We pulled off where all the other kayaks were. We did get turned around hiking but there were people around to ask questions.

not too hard a hike, we did get muddy and dirty.

The kayak back was a little tougher with the wind. It was probably a 65-70 on the exertion scale, not hard but not easy. Very do-able, and worth it.

We are thinkihg of getting a kayak now!

Canada
Level Contributor
308 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: kayak tour

We are doing this tour on Saturday! We opted for a tour because it was one of our 'insentives' for the presentation we did. I'll give a report about it soon with pictures I'm sure!

maria, I can't believe you got bit by something! Now I'm freaked out! :) Glad you had fun though!

Take care,

Jen

Newburgh, Indiana
Level Contributor
40 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kayak tour

We also rented a double kayak (can't remember from who, but it was about $75 for a double and they had little hand trucks to cart it to the shore) and did the trip on our own. It was very enjoyable! The kayaking is very easy going up and a little harder coming back, depending on the winds. Hug the left shore on the way back (as much as you can with the 50 foot rule) and you will be fine. The hike is easy (a couple of spots where you have climb some rocky spots that can be slippery and watch out for falling mangoes!) and the pool and waterfall are beautiful. A bunch of us were there at the same time and we all took pictures for each other, kissing under the falls! :) It was a great trip!