We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything New in Poipu?

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Anything New in Poipu?

My family is returning this June for the 4th time in 4 years. Yes, we love Kauai. We'll be staying at Kiahuna again in our favorite ocean view unit.

I'm just wondering if there is anything new since our last visit last summer. New restaurants? New shops? That kind of thing. Will the round-about be done by then? How's the hotel between Kiahuna and the Marriot coming along?

Thank you.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything New in Poipu?

I guess not?

Calgary
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything New in Poipu?

Lots of new construction and traffic slow downs - sorry to report. What is your favourite Kiahuna unit?

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything New in Poipu?

I can't tell you the number because I want it to be open next time we want it.LOL.

It's in building 28 and has a great view. It's very quiet in that area, except on Luau nights next door, but I kind of enjoy hearing it.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything New in Poipu?

The detour along Poipu Road is a bit different. Kindsof tricky to navigate, especially at night. My husband was run off the road last December when trying to return his bicycle to Outfitters Kauai from our rental house on Ho'ona Road. We were in Poipu last June and early December and will return again in June 2008. Everything looked the same in the way of the construction. Also, no new restaurants or shops. The Tidepools was a pleasant surprise for us. Apparently, they have a new chef and the food and service were excellent. We did notice a few new homes going up near Brennecke's. And the traffic from the airport to Poipu near the college was a lot heavier in December than last June. We called Keoki's from the airport to get a table and it took an extra 45 minutes to get to Poipu!

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything New in Poipu?

Thanks martik. 45 minute is quite a crawl from the airport. I was hoping for a new restaurant. Keoki's gets so crowded. I wish Tropical Buger was a little better. Oh well nothing beats ahi from Koloa fish market grilled at 'home' anyway.

It doesn't sound as though any of the developments that were under construction last summer are anywhere near being finished. I can't imagine how crazy crowded it will be when those are finished.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything New in Poipu?

We hang out at the house and cook most of our meals there (with a lot of help from the Koloa Fish Market!) We also make reservations for whatever dinners we will eat out before we leave the mainland and early. The traffic and crowds all over Kauai have picked up quite a bit in the last 5 years. I'm happy the island has recovered from Iniki but we really liked it when it was a lot slower. We have seen a lot more traffic and waits for dinner on the north shore too! Hanalei Dolphin, Hanalei Gourmet and BarACuda were all packed last July when we stayed up there. Had to wait for lunch at the first two places. Made an early dinner reservation for BarACuda and the waitress was a bit annoyed when we lingered over coffee and dessert. (Huge wait to get in!) So some pre-planning helps quite a bit!

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything New in Poipu?

Before we get to Kauai we are spending 3 nights in Waikiki so Kauai will feel uncrowded to us. I hope. I've only spent a day on Oahu, so I wanted to give it a look. I hope I don't regret it and wish we had more than a week on Kauai. I am looking forward to some hotel pampering though and seeing some of the North shore beaches.

In the North Shore on Kauai I really liked Paradise Cafe in the Princeville shopping center. It's very casual. We sort of stumbled upon it and it ended up being one of our best meals. The Beach House was a bit 'off' the last time. We might skip it this year or just go in for a drink.

Sorry if I'm blabbing, I'm just getting so excited.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,560 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything New in Poipu?

The Beach House has been "off" for a while. We went in June 2006 with my brother-in-law and his new wife who know the owners of "The Big Water Grill" in Incline Village, a sister restaurant to The Beach House. We were all a bit disappointed. My brother-in-law always insists that we go to The Beach House (he has been there numerous times with my husband while on business). He was very disappointed. The last 4-5 visits have actually been just OK.

I'll have to try the place in Princeville. We will not bt staying on the North Shore this time but my mother wants to drive up in June. She is turning 80 in June and we will be taking her The Tidepools for her birthday celebration. We went in December and it was excellent!

It's fine to babble! We ALL get excited when thinking about going to Kauai!! I think once you have been biten but the Kauai bug, you cannot wait to plan your next trip. My friends laugh at us since we go so often!!!

BTW, we spent 2 days in Waikiki in December 2004. We took the kids to see all of Pearl Harbor, spent the entire day there. They loved it and it was a great experience. We would like to do that again and head up to the Polynesian Cultural Center.

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anything New in Poipu?

I tried the Big Water Grill this last summer and it was ok.

I guess I like casual places more lately. I loved Rosie's in Tahoe City and Austin's in Incline on our last trip to Tahoe. I'm getting off the Kauai subject, so I'll get back on the road.

What is it about Kauai? Every winter when our thoughts turn to a summer vacation, we say we want to go somewhere new. We start looking around and decide we want to go back to Kauai. We've only been 3 times before, but that's 3 years in a row. I'm sure if Europe was more affordable right now we might of tried to go there.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,881 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anything New in Poipu?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The main thing you will notice different from last summer is all the construction projects!

As far as new shops, not really any that I can think of except for the new Starbucks that just opened last Friday at Po'ipu Shopping Village.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Get answers to your questions about Princeville