We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanalei Bay Resort exchange through Interval International

Which Princeville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Napoleon, OH
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hanalei Bay Resort exchange through Interval International

We are planning a trip to Hawaii in December with my parents and were able to get an exchange through II for a 2 bedroom unit for one of the weeks. My mother is paying for the trip and put me in charge (so to speak) of making most of the arrangements. After reading some of the comments I'm more than a little nervous about what we may be getting once we get there.

Has ANYONE had a good experience with Hanalei Bay Resort through a timeshare exchange?

California
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort exchange through Interval International

There are a few recent reviews on the Timeshare User's Group site: www.tug2.net. You do need to be a member to read the reviews ($10 or $15 to join, I don't recall) but the overall rating is 8/10. Most of the reviews are older, but the most recent 3 are 2 good and 1 bad. The bad one mentioned slow service in the restaurant, long walk to the beach, lack of pool towels, etc.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry -- sounds decent enough. Although I haven't read the TA reviews for this resort, I ofen found they are from people who expect hotel class and service so are disappointed with condos because they're not the same.

Napoleon, OH
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort exchange through Interval International

thank you so much for the reply!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
607 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort exchange through Interval International

Dear Cancun junkee:

I have not doubt you will adore Hanalei Bay Resort --- the scenery and grounds of this complex are beautiful.... It is true some of the "hotel rooms" are small, have little views, and usually "meek" A/C room units (not a worry in December)... However, the fact you are renting a fairly rare two bedroom unit is a BIG PLUS.... The larger units are quite comfortable and generally located in the better zones for Hanalei Bay and perhaps partial Bali Hai viewlines.... You will LOVE the common grounds - lava rock waterfall, spacious pool, small whirlpool, good Happy Talk cocktail lounge, beautiful view Bali Hai restaurant.... RELAX and enjoy your excursion to one of the most beautiful places in our world....

California
Level Contributor
35,778 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort exchange through Interval International

Dickgoode has told you the truth. If you did get a 2 bedroom they are large, 1600 sq feet, large lanais, and located in the better sections of the resort. All but a few have been renovated this year.

Enjoy all the resort has to offer and have a wonderful trip. I'll be there in Dec too and can't wait.

California
Level Contributor
35,778 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort exchange through Interval International

Forgot one thing to add. In regards to Kitty's reply, the "pool towel" problem at HBR has been eliminated with the purchase of dozen more towels and not allowing locals into the pool. They would take the towels with them. HBR hired a guard at the entrance to discourage the locals from using the facilities. Service can be slow at the lounge and restaurant. There is almost no unemployment on the island and getting service people is a challenge for all the resorts. Sometimes people complain about service (I am guilty as well) because on the mainland we lead such fast paced lives. We get our burgers in 30 seconds and our coffee right away. Taking a deep breathe and enjoying the scenery while we wait can help. HBR has a new GM who is taking all the complaints quite seriously. I saw a great improvement in service and immenities when I was there in June.

California
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort exchange through Interval International

We stayed at Hanalei Bay Resort in 2002 as an exchange and really enjoyed it. We are going again next month (Sept 2007) so will see how it is 5 years later. The only problem we had with our 1 bedroom in 02 was big roaches which seem to be native to the island. Just don't leave any food out. Make sure you go to Ke'e' beach at the very end of the road before the Napali Coast begins and go snorkeling. In 02 they rented the snorkel equip right at the resort. Have a good time and remember you are in Hawaii - how much time will you actually spend in the room?

California
Level Contributor
35,778 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort exchange through Interval International

You can still rent snorkel equipment, get towels, boogie boards and sign up for surf lessons in the pool "cave". One major thing that has changed at HBR is the Bali Hai isn't open Monday and Tuesday. Due to staffing difficulties they had to close the restaurant 2 days a week. They are hoping to reopen to 7 days again soon.

8. Re: Hanalei Bay Resort exchange through Interval International

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Princeville