We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Denny - Any privately-run campgrounds?

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Denny - Any privately-run campgrounds?

Hi all

Denny, I thought you might be able to help on this, as the internet hasn't been too helpful.

We are applying for a permit for the County Parks, but since we're foreigners, were having difficulty getting the correct forms. I think we've got that done now.

But my question was, are there any privately-owned campgrounds on Kauai or are there just the County and State ones? Just want to keep as many options open as possible.

By the way, thanks so much for all your on-the-ground info--it has been so helpful and entertaining to read.

(Not us camping - younger group traveling at the same time :0)

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Denny - Any privately-run campgrounds?

although I'm not Denny I am from Kauai and know of only two private camping areas on Kauai, neither of them are near the ocean but both are in really picturesque settings and offer rustic cabins.

YWCA has Camp Sloggett which is located in Koke'e near Waimea Canyon State park on the west side and Kahili Mountain Park which is a little more centrally located ( 15 minutes inland from the south shore) you can read more info about both private camp areas here:

www.alternative-hawaii.com/accom/kccpcc.htm

BC Canada
Level Contributor
511 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Denny - Any privately-run campgrounds?

Thanks angoraphobia

I'll pass this info onto my young friends!!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Denny - Any privately-run campgrounds?

loving kauai,

Angoraphobia has given you some great scoop. ( Mahalo )

Camp Slogget is up in beautiful forests in Kokee, which is a bit of a treck. The other private camp ground, I am not familar with, but it sounds pretty super !

Denny

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Denny - Any privately-run campgrounds?

Mahalo,

Looked up the Kahili Mountain Park Cabins on the web, and

we will be giving them a call. No photos of the cabins, but they managed by the Seventh Say Adventists.

Cabins and Cabinettes on many acres, with two hiking trails.

runs from 55 o 110 bucks/night. And are farily close to us here in Puhi.....much closer than driving up to Kokee.

808-742-9921.

Again, angrophobia, many thanks for the scoops.

Denny and Erica

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Denny - Any privately-run campgrounds?

no problem! my uncle and auntie used to work there on the grounds and although i haven't been, i hear things are kept pretty neat and tidy. there are also a couple of great strenuous trails from the camp area that you can take up to mount kahili which offers great views of the south shore....

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,881 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Denny - Any privately-run campgrounds?

Yep, I recommended the hike on another thread to someone.

The views that you get of the South Shore are spectacular -- you can hike right up to the ridge top if you are brave!

The cabins are very well maintained and in a lovely area -- and the best part is -- not very many people!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Denny - Any privately-run campgrounds?

I'm pretty sure the YMCA Camp Naue offers camping on the North Shore of Kauai for around $15.00 nite. Its basically an open field about three acres. I believe it is near Haena. Actually, the second helicopter crash in March occurred at this location. I camped at the YMCA site in Keanne (Maui) last December and I felt safe. There was a resident caretaker on the property who lives there. Probably the same set-up in Kauai. The cost is more than county parks but probably more secure. However, the bathrooms at the location (Maui) left much to be desired, you may want to use other restrooms.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,881 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Denny - Any privately-run campgrounds?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'll second the posters who have given you recommendations about Kahili Mountain Park -- I live nearby and have been there several times -- it is a beautiful area nestled up against Kahili Mountain -- it is located just past Maluhia Rd. on the highway (otherwise known as Tree Tunnel Rd.) and the cabins are lovely and well maintained.

You do use a dirt road to get there, but it is also well maintained and you'll have no problem. The Seventh Day Adventist school is located in there as well -- the campground (actually since they are cabins I don't really think of it as a campground) is past the school area -- it is very quiet, surrounded by fields and you can hike in the area also -- there is a trailhead that goes up the ridge where you get an amazing view of the south shore.

Camp Slogget up in Koke'e is beautiful, but again, very very remote -- it will take you more than an hour to get to say, Lihu'e -- very very windy steep road. It also gets very cold up there -- so you'll want to bring much warmer clothes than you would use on the other parts of the island -- I was at Camp Slogget to hike about 2 weeks ago and about froze my okole (bum) off because I didn't have anything but shorts and t shirt.

I wasn't aware the Camp Naue had a campground on the North Shore, but since the one up in Koke'e is so well maintained, then I'm sure it must do the same for their other campground.

Hope any of this helps!

Malama Pono,

Janet

9. Re: Denny - Any privately-run campgrounds?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:28 am, August 29, 2009