We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sushi! mmmmm

Indianapolis, IN
7 posts
Save Topic
sushi! mmmmm

hello everyone -

planning our first trip to the islands next summer.

there MUST be some good sushi in/near poipu?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sushi! mmmmm

Try the Beach House. They have a wide assortment of pacific rim food as well as sushi. Best place to go is Kintaro but it is far (30mins) from Poipu, located in Kapaa

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sushi! mmmmm

therse 2 great sushi place in Kapaa, on the east side. Kintaros is a more upscale sushi restaurant. its just been recently renovated, so theres a TON of room now (it's really popular with the locals). Also pretty affordable, you could be full off of $15 of sushi (depending on what you get). i dont reccoment any of the meals. stick wtih the sushi.

also, you can try "wasabi's" in Kapaa town, very close to Kintaros (its in wailua). It's very small, a lot more laid back. I havent eaten there but my sister says its awesome.

therse also Lemongrass restaurant in kapaa, there's a sushi bar there as well as regular dining.

as for poipu, i dont ever recall seeing any sushi places there...they are mostly on the east side.

Austin, TX
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sushi! mmmmm

Kintaros...In Kapaa (i think) It's soo good. Was our best meal when we were there last time.

Michigan
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sushi! mmmmm

If you make it up to Hanalei on the north coast, I can vouch for Sushi Blues with live music almost every night after 8:00.

Food was just terrific

South Dakota
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sushi! mmmmm

Kintaro's on the east side was one of the best places that we ate last week. If you can reserve a teppan grill, you won't regret it.

Honolulu, HI
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: sushi! mmmmm

If you do make it down to Hanalei, stay away from the Hanalei Dolphin restaurant. Read the restaurant review on this site. I've also heard that Sushi Blues cannot compare to a decent sushi bar, but the music is good. Try the other places mentioned instead.

Seattle & Poipu
Level Contributor
145 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: sushi! mmmmm

One other suggestion is to go and get some Poke. Basically it is a raw fish salad with seaweed and a sauce. There are different sauces: Wasabi, spicy, soy, sesame, etc. Becuase the fish is so fresh it is just awesome. I probably eat more of that than anything else. Poke is available anywhere, at local restaurants and even at Safeway or Stars Market. For a special treat go to the fish market across from WalMart in Lihue. It is called Fish Express and has amazing Poke and smoked fish. Smoked Marlin was my favorite. They also have plate lunch specials.

Alan

Morristown, NJ
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sushi! mmmmm

We went to Kintaro's on our honeymoon. It was fantastic but it took us about 30 minutes to drive there from Poipu.

We asked some of the waiters/waitresses at our hotel what places THEY like to go to eat (the resort food was very pricey).

Hope this helped!

S1

boulder,co
Level Contributor
179 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sushi! mmmmm

do not eat at naniwaa in the sheraton. It is extremely overpriced

Kintaro's was great

Minnesota
Level Contributor
118 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sushi! mmmmm

Naniwa in the Sheraton does have sushi though and the Sheraton is in/near Poipu if you don't care about prices.

I haven't eaten there so can't respond to quality.

Go where the food is good!