We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kiahuna Plantation Resort or Waikomo Stream Villas

Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Kiahuna Plantation Resort or Waikomo Stream Villas

I would like your opinion on these two places. I am torn between the two. My number one concern is safety. While I know the island as a whole is safe, I want a place where I can truly relax and not worry about the kids going to the pool, walking to the beach. Another concern is being close to the beach, restaurants, activities.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort or Waikomo Stream Villas

well, Kiahuna Plantation does not have a pool, but it is on the beach, which is at the ocean, so are many of the resorts on Kauai. They can certainly walk to the beach at Waikomo Streams. There is a pool at waikomo streams that has a fence, but not sure if it take a guest key to get in. Still , kids will follow someone else in if that is the case.

I do not understand what you want in a kauai vacation for your family . If you wish to relax and not worry about kids you might plan on a vacation area that is not near any water. Or leave the kids at home so you can forget about them and not have to be concerned about ocean or pool activies.

How about roads with cars and vehicle traffic. Or places with jungle trails leading into the green. Or them walking up to the poipu shopping village.

I see your call sign is mom with two teeners.

Why bring them them on a vacation to kauai if they cannot swim in a pool, or snorkel in the ocean. What are they supposed to do while you relax and not have to worry about them ?

It would seem if you bring your teens on a kauai vacation, that you would have the responsibility to supervise them, and as a family you actually get out and enjoy the island together as a family.

We see lots of families with their kids sharing the treasures and magic and activities of kauai.

Edited: 7:15 pm, August 02, 2014
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort or Waikomo Stream Villas

Which one is safer? I am concerned mainly about break ins. We have only been to the Caribbean so that is on my mind as we had an issue with that in the past. I want my kids to be able to walk alone to the pool or beach if they want to, not saying they will as we are usually together as a family 99% of the time.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,759 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort or Waikomo Stream Villas

Kaua'i is the USA, so any comparisons to the Caribbean are completely out-of-wack.

Kiahuna Plantation sits on the sand, on a beach, but units are spread out...the pool situation is an odd one. Units rented through Castle will have access to the pool. Units rented through Outrigger will not. Some independently owned units will have pool access some won't. The pool is across a road. I don't know your kids age, nor where you live, or when you plan on visiting, but I suggest you be with them, regardless of whether they're at the pool or the beach...from a grandma's perspective...the beach at Kiahuna does not have a lifeguard.

Waikomo Stream Villas is not on the sand, but does have a pool. Older kids will probably be fine at the pool, but NOT at the beach alone. This is not Disneyland. Every visitor should be aware of surf conditions and check the report daily.

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/

Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort or Waikomo Stream Villas

Thank you! I'm a little overprotective anyway, but just want safety after our experience in the Caribbean. I know it is nonsense to compare the two, but this is our first experience after that trip. They are older teens and always go places together, so I can see them wanting to go to the pool after a day with the family. I will keep them away from the beach unless they are with us.

Newtown Square...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort or Waikomo Stream Villas

We have personally stayed in WSV about 10 times over the last 15 years. WSV is a much smaller development than KPR and there is barely anyone at the pool. You will almost get the feel that the pool and development is "your own" rather than that big loud resort. I am not saying the KPR will be loud and crowded it is just much larger and on a larger property. The 1 bedroom units themselves at WSV are much bigger than the 1 bedroom units at KPR. We only need a 1 bedroom and that is one of the reasons we stay at WSV. I think the 2 bedroom units in KPR are comparable to WSV. I believe that each of these developments have individually owned condos and some of the condos have been renovated since they were built in the 70s and 80s so you really need to look at pics and ask questions if that is a concern for your family.

Here are my thoughts:

Safety: never has been an issue anywhere on the island that I have heard. Other family members of ours own condos on the the east side and have never had a problem. That said, we are all very aware of our surroundings at all times and lock our valuables in the safe when we go out. I am hoping Kauai stays this way since I have heard stories about other Hawaiian islands that they are not as safe.

Shopping & restaurants: both are within walking distance of 2 shopping centers. One closer than the other in either case, but doable for both. Both of these shopping centers I would consider upscale (Tommy Bahama, Roy's restaurant just to name a few) with only families, honeymooners, couples. I have never witnessed any "characters" hanging around like we have heard of on other islands. Mostly people having dinner, enjoying ice cream, viewing local art, tourist shopping etc.

Beaches: KPR is on a swimmable beach while WSV is about a 10 minute walk to that beach.

In either case I believe you will enjoy Kauai. I may gauge my answer on whether you can give up the pool and stay at KPR (or rent from the company that lets you go across the street to use the pool) or walk to the beach and stay at WSV.

Good luck with your decision and I think either place will be safe and enjoyable for your family!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort or Waikomo Stream Villas

Are these the only two properties for consideration?

While Kiahuna has an ideal location....the units are small..no AC...many without washer/dryer, and possibly pool access.

Poipu Kapili is in between the two properties you are considering, and has wonderfully spacious units , a good number with AC. The property has an ocean view from just about all the units, and an on site pool....close to shops and restaurants.

You don't share the ages of the children...but the shops are a short walking distance from PK.

While it is not unusual to compare previous Vacation experiences.....Hawaii is a wonderful destination geared to family enjoyment..

Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort or Waikomo Stream Villas

Wow, great responses! Thank you! We are open to other places, these are just the two I kept seeing on VBRO that seemed reasonably priced. Are all the beaches on the island public? Can you just drive your car there, park and spend the day at any beach if you'd like? My kids are 17 and 18. We will be celebrating one graduating from high school and our 20th wedding anniversary. Thanks again!

Newtown Square...
Level Contributor
15 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort or Waikomo Stream Villas

All beaches in Hawaii are free. Beachfront hotels etc. must give access to everyone so you will always find a way to get to any beach that you want. There are many beach parks with facilities including Poipu. Favorite beaches are Poipu in the south and Anini, Hanalei Bay and Ke'e in the north. Each one of the beaches I listed has facilities and parking especially if you get there early. Congrats on the graduations and anniversary!

Canada
Level Contributor
9,346 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort or Waikomo Stream Villas

All beaches in Hawaii are public...open to all.

What is your nightly accommodation budget?

So, 17, and 18 can check out a few nearby spots on their own.....

Poipu Kapili is a short walk to the beach in front of the Sheraton/Kiahuna...yet faces the ocean directly. It is well managed with incredibly spacious units.

poipukapili.net/…

There are also units on VRBO ..that may price out a bit less.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,759 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kiahuna Plantation Resort or Waikomo Stream Villas

All beaches are public. And yes, for many, you can drive up, park and go...but some will require a bit of a hike or maybe quite a hike. Depends.

We could help you a lot more by knowing where you are from, when you are planning a visit, for how long, how many people and a budget. Kaua'i is way more than those two complexes in Po'ipu...it's way more than just Po'ipu (and the South Shore).

And your question regarding safety - Kaua'i is relatively safe...the island is not crawling with pickpockets, murderers or maniacs. But do use common sense....like I said, this is not Disneyland. There is petty theft....lock doors/windows, don't leave electronics laying around and don't leave anything visible in the rental car.