We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipouli or Hanalei bay resort

Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Waipouli or Hanalei bay resort

Which is a better choice? Can not decide? Which is better to explore the island and have a great place to relax?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipouli or Hanalei bay resort

Depends on what you're looking for. Waipouli is on the beach, although it's not safe for swimming, and has a fantastic pool. It attracts lots of families with kids. It's on the main road across from a supermarket, and if you don't have a unit more towards the beach you could be very unhappy. Traffic can be bad at times. There is a good restaurant on site and several just a short drive away. Closest beaches for swimming would be 10-15 minutes away, barring traffic.

HBR, I think, would be quieter. I love the grounds there. There's little traffic at that end of the island. The closest beach is a few minutes away at the St. Regis, with others, including Hanalei Bay beaches a few more minutes' drive. The restaurant/bar may or may not be open, depending on when you arrive. There are several restaurants 10-15 minutes away.

When are you planning to be here? If it's in the dead of winter you may actually want something down in Po`ipu.

California
Level Contributor
37,628 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipouli or Hanalei bay resort

Hopefully soon HBR will also have their restaurant up and running.

WBR are newer condos than HBR. Most of the interiors are the same at WBR. Rent a privately owned condo at HBR and at WBR beware of the building of a new condo next door. As noted the beach is pretty but not swimmable. The beach below HBR is not a top beach for the North Shore, but its nice, has shade and the St Regis is there and you can enjoy lunch at their poolside cabana.

WBR is in the busy town of Kapaa and HBR is on the North Shore with views of the mountains and bay and not Safeway.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,123 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipouli or Hanalei bay resort

To be fair, the units at WBR don't all have just a view of Safeway.

California
Level Contributor
37,628 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipouli or Hanalei bay resort

True that! Get a front facing condo on the opposite side of the A building but at least HBR doesn't have any units with views of Foodland, :-)

Indy
Level Contributor
1,381 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipouli or Hanalei bay resort

Well as we are planning on doing lots of exploring in our short stay, I wanted WBR but I let my folks pick. WBR was slightly more expensive than HBR for the units they were choosing between and my parents wanted the better view and nicer unit they could get at HBR so they picked it. Also, when are you going? North shore is supposed to be so pretty in Summer.

good luck.

as Jebett recently mentioned and I had read about even last summer, there is construction going on next door to WBR so don't pick the units on that side of the property if you decide on WBR.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,384 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipouli or Hanalei bay resort

You don't really say why you've limited your choices to just those two options. A lot will depend on when you're coming, but I'm not a big fan of the east coast any time of year since you can't really get into the ocean safely in most places there. If you're wanting to do ocean activities like swimming, snorkeling, boogie boarding, etc. staying east means you'll end up driving every day to do that - either north or south depending on the time of year.

If you give people a better idea of what you're looking for, your budget and the time of year you're coming, there may be some even better options for you to conisder.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,165 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipouli or Hanalei bay resort

Sure, WBR will put you about 25 minutes closer to the rest of the island. The trade off is this - at WBR you're going to end up spending more time than that to get to good swimming beaches and great scenery. When are you going? If spring, summer, early Fall this will be especially true. Even if it's a winter month I'd rather be in the HBR location than the east shore. If you want a place with all the bells and whistles , a modern , new and sleek place then go with Waipouli. if location and views are important then go with HBR.

8. Re: Waipouli or Hanalei bay resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 12, 2015