We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where's the best place to snorkel for a first time beginner?

Santa Clara
Level Contributor
65 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Where's the best place to snorkel for a first time beginner?

HI there,

I will be staying in Poipu, Kuaui for a week end of June 2013 with my 10yo neice. I would like to take her snorkeling for the first time. This will be my first time in Kuaui. Can someone please tell me the BEST place for a beginning snorkeler as well as where / how do we rent the snorkeling equipment? We will be staying at a VRBO in Poipu and will have a rental car.

Thank you SO much!

Arleen

California
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where's the best place to snorkel for a first time beginner?

http://nukumoisurf.com/surfshophawaii.html You can rent snorkel equipment at Nukumoi Surf Shop. My recommendation would be to go to the beach in front of Kiahuna Plantation and walk left a ways towards Koa Kea. You'll most likely see folks snorkeling there; it's usually quite shallow, and you should see some fish

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,622 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where's the best place to snorkel for a first time beginner?

I haven't snorkeled in the Poipu area, but I can think of 2 other beaches too. Lydgate (on the East side of the island) is a rock rimmed area and pretty calm - so while that last time I was there, I didn't see much in the way of fish, it is shallow and calm. There is also a huge playground there for kiddos. Also, on the north shore, Ke'e beach is surrounded by reef, so it is like a big swimming pool and the water is almost flat on the north shore during the summer, so that is where me & my kids learned how to snorkel. Have fun! :)

Edited: 12:34 pm, June 12, 2013
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,209 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where's the best place to snorkel for a first time beginner?

I would suggest Lydgate Park for any beginner. There is a large rock wall enclosed pond and there is a lifeguard. She may not see many fish, but it is a great place to get comfortable snorkeling.

3Chihuahuas

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where's the best place to snorkel for a first time beginner?

Lydgate would be my suggestion also. Its like a big swimming pool, but not too many fish. If its calm Lawai'i (beach house restaurant) would be a good place when she gets the hang of it. Lots of fish there.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,847 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where's the best place to snorkel for a first time beginner?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Another vote for Lydgate Park...specifically Morgan's Pond for a first time snorkeler....it may not be the best place on island for snorkeling, but for a first timer, I definitely think it would be a good learning experience.

It was the very first place I ever snorkeled here as well......

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
9,220 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where's the best place to snorkel for a first time beginner?

tripadvisor.com/…41996422

Read this thread from last year. Maybe it's improved, but Lydgate wouldn't be a place I'd recommend even though it was also the first place I snorkeled on Kauai--went once and have never been back. The spot I mentioned in the first post has much better clarity and more fish. Ke'e, recommended by coalminer, is also an excellent choice when you head North.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Where's the best place to snorkel for a first time beginner?

We are at kiahuna right now and I am not sure I would start here first. I would start by laying perpendicular on a boogie board in the east baby side of poipu park, protected by rocks. Once comfortable, move over to the west side of poipu where all the other snorkels are

The boogie board trick works well for our 7yr old and we had some boards left in our unit. Try farther down by kiahuna once she is very comfortable. The best snorkeling so far is on west side of poipu tho. Actucally the best is tunnels and ke'e but that is a long drive just to try stuff out. Good luck!

Coos Bay, Oregon
Level Contributor
774 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where's the best place to snorkel for a first time beginner?

My hubby and I snorkeled at Poipu beach and saw many fish. Very easy entry and protected. We were there early in the morning and snorkeled in the area in front of the lifeguard tower. A Monk seal even swam by and beached itself whole we were there. We also went over to Kiahuna but found the waves quite strong. Just not as well protected.

Patty

Upland, California
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where's the best place to snorkel for a first time beginner?

Ke'e was great a few days ago. The tide was very low and it was like swimming in a lagoon. The water was clear and we saw a nice selection if fish. My kids loved it!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,096 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where's the best place to snorkel for a first time beginner?

The protected area at Po`ipu Beach Park is great for a newby to get used to snorkeling. When she becomes confident you can go over to the far side of the tombolo (sand spit). Lawai Beach at high tide should be quite calm. Lydgate is OK, but there's minimal fish. Ke`e is ok, and is a good spot for beginners.