We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap and Local food in Poipu?

Cocoa, Florida
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap and Local food in Poipu?

Any good restaurants that aren't part of a hotel/resort with decent food at a decent price? Preferably local cuisine? TIA.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cheap and Local food in Poipu?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Cheap and local = two things not found here easily in the Poʻipū area where I live!

Da Crack is inexpensive, good Mexican food - I go there once a week on my way home from work for dinner.

Sueoka Snack Shop - cheap and local - a walk up window outside Sueoka Store in Koloa - great local food for take out for cheap.

Koloa Fish Market - plate lunches and bentos to go - inexpensive take out.

Everything else mentioned here is not what I at least call "local" or inexpensive - I don't care for Puka Dogs and at around $7.00 for a hot dog is not cheap or local IMO! lol

This is a visitor area....food is geared towards the visitor and not the "local" or cheap I am afraid. Līhuʻe or the West Side are better choices to find cheap and local!

There have been lots of past threads on this same subject - do a search and you will find lots of real local food for cheap here!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,954 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cheap and Local food in Poipu?

Easier to find "cheap and local" in Lihue. Dani's, the Tip Top, Hamura's Saimin and Garden Island Barbecue to name a few. Stop by on your way to or from the East or North Shore.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
70 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cheap and Local food in Poipu?

Definitely try the taco truck on Weliweli road in Koloa for lunch. They have super good fish tacos at $10.50 for a plate of two. They have other Mexican food also but we never got beyond the fish tacos! Onolicious for sure !

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Cheap and Local food in Poipu?

Ohhhhh, puka dogs are more than just a hot dog. They're quite filling and from a tourist standpoint , a cheap meal.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,844 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cheap and Local food in Poipu?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I think that is where the confusion on these threads that come along and ask this same question comes in....."cheap" to me, since I live here is not a $7.00 hot dog (which I've tried, but I don't like eating a whole loaf of bread personally lol)....nor "local", which in Hawai'i vernacular, means certain types of food that have been around for a long time and which are consumed more by residents (residents and "locals", which means non haole, born and raised here) than visitors.

This would include such things as saimin, laulau, pancit, various types of plate lunch, fried saimin, kulolo, poi, poke, oxtail soup, mochi, manju, pasteles, make sushi, cone sushi, char siu and tons of other things (I just came back from my local store, Sueokas, so some of these things come to mind since they have them!)......

Anyway, cheap to a visitor and cheap to me are two different animals most of the time...LOL!

Hubby and I can get two filling, veggie burritos each from Da Crack for under $10.00 (I usually have to eat it in two sittings).....now that is what I call cheap! However Mexican food is definitely not "local" as I know it at least! lol

Malama Pono,

Janet

16. Re: Cheap and Local food in Poipu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 07, 2014