We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around Kauai

New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around Kauai

The forums seem to say that the best way to get around is by car. Unfortunately, I don't have a driver's license and I'll be travelling alone. Are there really no tour buses that will help me get around the island? How about renting a bike?

If I stay on the east coast, would it be really difficult to get to the south coast without a car? I love to snorkel and dive.

Any information would be appreciated.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,849 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Getting around Kauai

Exactly - that is why I pick some of them up . . . because it is the parent in me thinking "you shouldn't be hitch hiking!". :)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,994 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Getting around Kauai

Skip & I will also pick up hitch-hikers - not all, but some. We've met some really interesting people.

3Chihuahuas

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
842 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Getting around Kauai

Since you're interested in water activities, have you considered staying in Poipu? The Sheraton offers limited shuttle in the immediate area which may be useful. If that hotel is within your budget, a phone call to them finding out exactly where they offer free shuttle to might give more info. Some walkable dining options available in the area and you would have a frig in your room. Perhaps the Sheraton would take you to the small market nearby and there is a Whaler's Store in the close shopping center for snacks, drinks, fruit, etc. Some snorkeling opportunities could be reached by walking and you'd be located at a beautiful beach if that's important to you. For less money, perhaps something to consider is the Garden Inn near the Kauai Marriott Resort which is walking distance to a nice swimmable beach (but no snorkeling) area and has some dining options you can walk to. Some tours might pick you up at these locations and at least when you're "lodging bound," you could enjoy the beach and spend time in the water. Just a thought from someone who's only been to Kauai once (and rented a car) but found it jaw-dropping beautiful and that was pretty much everywhere, not just at the popular tourist spots.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,899 posts
1 review
Save Reply
24. Re: Getting around Kauai

Greenvalley is giving you some good advice. Stay in a location where you'll have many options in walking distance. After all, you won't want to be hopping buses , public or private, every day to other parts of the island. Some days you'll probably want to stick around "home" and see and do things you can in walking distance. So on that note I agree with Greenvalley and would recommend Poipu. You'll be able to walk to beaches, snorkel, etc. There's enough dining in walking distance too. I'm sure there are tour buses that pick up at the Hyatt or the Sheraton. I don't know the ins and outs of it but it's quite possible you could join in on those tours on those special days of your trip.

Greenvalleys suggestion of the Marriott in Lihue is also a very good suggestion for the same reasons. (although the beach there is not a snorkeling beach).

Without knowing your budget or kind of place you want to stay ( hotel, condo?) it's hard to make recommendations but if you get back to us with that type of info you'll get more answers. If you're travelling on a budget you should check out Waikomo Stream Villas in Poipu. Probably the best deal going on the south shore.

Albuquerque, New...
14 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Getting around Kauai

kauai beach hotel has free airport to hotel shuttle transfers, you can rent bikes but it will not get you down to the south. You can always arrange tours that will provide transportation. Oahu is really a better island to visit if you want easy transporation without getting a car.

LA
Level Contributor
10,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Getting around Kauai

Kauai is not a good island to chose if you have to rely on public transportation.

There are "tour buses" that sell tours, which is fine if you want to do a tour and be taken to shopping opporturnities.

You can also find some snorkel/dive tours, but very few are going to provide pickup on the east coast.

27. Re: Getting around Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 04, 2014