We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

We're going to Kauai next month for our 10th anniversary, and we're pretty excited. It will be our first time going.

We get in on February 3, at 9:30pm and depart on the morning of February 11. That means we need a place for 8 days.

Thanks to miles, I've got two nights to use at the Grand Hyatt, and three nights to use at the Westin Princeville. (The Sheraton is not available for the time we are there through points)

That leaves three nights to work out where to stay. We're trying to keep our costs on this trip low, so I don't know if I'd want to stay more nights at the Grand Hyatt or Westin, although my wife probably would. ;)

Can anyone give me some tips on where to stay the other three nights, and also where we should stay first?

Thanks for the help!

Sam

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Thanks everyone, appreciate all the comments and suggestions!

Did I mention that I'm trying to get away with spending only $1500 on this entire trip? Yeah, go ahead and call me cheap. I can take it. Our flights were booked with frequent flier miles. Saving money on extra hotel nights will let me put it towards something like a boat cruise or helicopter tour for the two of us. So at this point, we're going to be in Kauai for 5 days/5 nights. Would I rather be there for 10 days/10 nights? You bet. But it's just not going to happen this time. Maybe that will be my goal for the 15th anniversary trip. :)

Napaguy, we actually have the redeye flight return flight, departing at 11pm, so that gives us a 5th day to spend somewhere. I know it's still a long way to go for 5 days, but at this point, I'll take what I can get. ;)

Blueflamingo, we actually are using the 2 free nights from the Hyatt card for this stay! I already have the Hyatt card myself, so I couldn't apply for another one.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,624 posts
1 review
Save Reply
22. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Heyyu, since you have a red eye return flight you should inquire about getting a late checkout. With so many red eyes out of Kauai they're used to this request. Some places will do it on availability basis only. Others will guarantee it with a smaller charge. Some will give a few more hours and others will give you through the evening. I'm not sure what the hyatt's system is. You should call directly to the hotel and put in your request. It's nice to have a place to shower and rest up for the long flight home

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Thanks Napaguy for the suggestion! Any tips on what to do that last day, once they finally do kick us out of the Hyatt? ;)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

As departing guest from the Hyatt, you will most likely still have access to Anara Spa for the whole day, which has full facilities for freshening up - and then some! So check that out, too. The spa doesn't close until 8 p.m.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

If I was looking for a super romantic, intimate place to stay here - I would certainly choose the low key, very atmospheric Waimea Plantation Cottages myself - check out their website and I defy you not to fall in love with it!

I love the Hyatt and have worked there for 13 years as narrator for their torch lighting show - but my absolute favorite place on island is Waimea Plantation Cottages - I would stay there a LOT more if they had decent kamaʻāina prices - but I treasure the times I have been able to stay there - non touristy, quiet, like stepping into a time machine and going back to a gentler era.

No, I have no connection with them - just love the place!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,624 posts
1 review
Save Reply
26. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Heyyu, (I love saying that)....... for your last day Mezzsop has a great suggestion of the Anara Spa. This would work whether they give you an extended stay in your room or not. And it would give you the benefit of being able to have a place to get all shined up for dinner and your flight home. What a nice departing gift to yourselves for your anniversary trip. Presuming you can keep the room for a little I would do something like that and visit the pool and just relax. Then head out a little early to a nice farewell dinner somewhere. Many folks who have late flights like to dine at Duke's at the Lihue Marriott, close to the airport and nice setting on Kalapaki Beach. They have valet parking so your vehicle and your belongings inside would be a bit safer.

Kilohana Plantation is another option and before dinner you could stroll the building and grounds and shops there. It's the large sugar plantation home you'll see on the main road on the way back to the airport/Lihue.

Hopefully others will offer up more suggestions.

Edited: 2:00 pm, January 09, 2013
Southern California
Level Contributor
12,842 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Check and see if Hyatt has a hospitality room, I know Marriott in Lihue does, you just pack your plane clothes in a bag and head to the beach or pool, have lunch, do whatever you want, then an hour or so before you want to leave for the airport I ask the concierge and they give me a key card to the courtesty room. Allow a little extra time, last trip there were two women ahead of me (only one shower there), change clothes, return the card, pick up luggage from the bellmen and get car and drive to airport.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

Thanks Napaguy and 55vineyard, great suggestions!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

I checked and it turns out Hyatt does indeed have a hospitality room! Looks like we should be good to go!

30. Re: Trip next month, need your help on how to arrange our stay!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 12, 2014