We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - No rental car availability during Holiday week

2 posts
Save Topic
Help - No rental car availability during Holiday week

Hello - looking for any suggestions. Family is arriving on dec. 24 - 30 and apparently the entire island is sold out of cars. I've looked into all major rental companies, smaller rental companies, online resources, Costco and even Luxury rentals. Alas, no luck. We are staying in a condo in Poipu and although I've heard things are within walking distance, I wanted a rental to explore the island. If I don't get a car, we'll make do, but open to any suggestions. I heard there are shuttles that can pick up and drop off around the island so I'd appreciate any info or insight.

Mahalo!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,766 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - No rental car availability during Holiday week

At this late date about all you can do is check with the car rental firms at the airport upon arrival and hope someone was a no show for their reservation.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - No rental car availability during Holiday week

Aloha .. and welcome to the forum.... fingers crossed you can get a car on arrival ....

It's a warning for people to book way ahead to guarantee a car ... sorry it has happened to you, but I wish you luck.

You will LOVE Kauai ... I just want to go back every year, but due to illness I just keep watching my videos, the helicopter DVD, the Descendants and now and again get onto Youtube...

Enjoy ...

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - No rental car availability during Holiday week

People may be holding multiple reservations, waiting to see which car rental will be the cheapest, as prices can often go down between the time of the reservation and arrival, although for a holiday week prices are probably pretty much cast in stone by now. I'd keep checking the internet daily (yes this can be time-consuming) as someone may cancel out a reservation but other than that you're left with Brighton's suggestion - check on arrival but be prepared to pay top dollar for anything that becomes available. We always reserve a car as soon as we make our flight reservations so that we are guaranteed something and not have to be scrambling at the last minute.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - No rental car availability during Holiday week

Check out this website....

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - No rental car availability during Holiday week

Just an FYI- Discount Hawaii Car Rental (link posted above) does not have their own rental cars. They simply facilitate rentals thru the car rental firms on the island. However, it's worth a shot to contact them as they may have an "in" to get you a rental due to the volume of cars they rent but certainly no guarantee.

California
Level Contributor
39,749 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - No rental car availability during Holiday week

What will most likely happen is you get to the airport and they magically find something for about $1000 a week. This is why pzp (one of the DE's) says all the time, rent a car months and months before for holidays. The rental cars are limited on a small island. One time a girl had to rent a pick up truck from Uhaul. Another suggestion is to go on Craigslist. There is a company that advertises cars. They are beat up but oh well. Beats a Uhaul, I guess. Idea number 3 is to take a shuttle to Poipu and rent one of the green cars they have at The Hyatt just for the day to do your sightseeing or book a Roberts Tour. Good luck.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,317 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - No rental car availability during Holiday week

As jebett mentions above, you can take the shuttle to Poipu and check out the green cars for a day or two. Kind of expensive but at least you will be able to get around.

http://www.robertshawaii.com/kauaiexpress/

https://www.greencarhawaii.com/

You might get lucky and secure a car upon arrival. I would keep checking as you get closer to your trip.

8. Re: Help - No rental car availability during Holiday week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, December 11, 2012
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help - No rental car availability during Holiday week

Thank you everyone for your comments and insights. Appreciate the links too!

Quick update: I had entered my info a few weeks ago via discount hawaii car rental website and this morning I got an email that they were able to secure a car for one day. Although not the greatest news I'm chalking it up to a spark of hope. :)

In the meantime, I'm going to continue checking online, and also prep my itinerary!

Thanks again!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Help - No rental car availability during Holiday week

You can also pick up one of the green cars at koa kea or the Marriott waiohai.

Otherwise, keep checking, constantly. As someone said many people book multiple reservations and keep them up until the end. Some will cancel them out while others aren't as courteous. Persistence and timing is the key.