We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2012 Monthly rental on Kauai for winter

Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
2012 Monthly rental on Kauai for winter

I'm looking for a rental from mid November 2012 to mid Febrary 2013 preferrably on Kauai's North Shore. I'd like to keep it around $1200 a month. Any suggestions?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,751 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2012 Monthly rental on Kauai for winter

vrbo is where I would start - good time to be gone from AK! :)

PS - you have posted in the Poipu forum, which isn't in the northshore, but hopefully people will give you suggestions as you wish.

Edited: 4:22 pm, October 10, 2012
California
Level Contributor
38,326 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2012 Monthly rental on Kauai for winter

Call Kauai Pacific Realty. Ask them about Villas of Kamalii. Ask for Gloria. She is very helpful.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
70 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2012 Monthly rental on Kauai for winter

The North shore is a beautiful part of kauai but is likely to be quite rainy and with rough ocean conditions during the time you will be there.

You will find dryer conditions and calmer waters on the South or West coasts of the island during winter.

Enjoy your trip!

Edited: 12:32 pm, October 11, 2012
California
Level Contributor
38,326 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2012 Monthly rental on Kauai for winter

I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the people I know who are snowbirds and live on the North Shore (Princeville) from December to March. People that stay that long do not care if there is a morning or two or three with rain. What they want is a spectacular place to stay with beautiful views and things to do like golfing, tennis, churches and community spirit.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2012 Monthly rental on Kauai for winter

jebett...do they manage to do it for only $1200 a month?!!?! LOL....cause if so, I may be rethinking my year round commitment to Alaska and heading to the north shore cause I know when I get home, winter's coming! 49 years is a lot of cold winters and rain is no problem!!!

Good luck herleyberley....if you find something, I'd love to know! Deb

California
Level Contributor
38,326 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2012 Monthly rental on Kauai for winter

There are some rentals I have seen for close to that. I have a friend who rented a place for 3 months for closer to $1700 but it was pretty nice and a three bedroom.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2012 Monthly rental on Kauai for winter

Hmmm....they say seperation makes the heart grow stronger, but it would be too cruel to leave my guy behind in the cold with the young adult kids and dog.....but you've certainly given us something to think about! This is an amazing island. Thanks for the quick response. My guy will spend the day collecting real estate brochures. Hahaha....Deb

P.S. Wow herleyberley....if you have the right timing to make this happen, go for it!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,751 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2012 Monthly rental on Kauai for winter

I have seen many vrbo sites that do list some great discounts when you book 20+ nights or more. However, I think the difficulty may be in finding something that isn't booked, even if only partially for all those winter months. There are some places open for several weeks, but not for 4 full months - I just checked on vrbo . . . so I think this would be the time I would contact some rental agencies as jebett mentioned, as they would help narrow the field quickly. :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2012 Monthly rental on Kauai for winter

Winter and the north shore are not the best combo. Owners up there like Jebett tend to prefer the Northshore in the rain to Poipu in the sun, but there's a reason occupancy levels are much higher on the south side in winter. Go back to this spring and read up on how ugly it can really get -- floods, road closures, muddy water for weeks etc. That's not every winter, but it's not exactly rare either.

"spectacular place to stay with beautiful views and things to do like golfing, tennis, churches and community spirit."

Those that love the South Side would say the same things. And even those that prefer the east or west shores.

At $1200/mon for a furnished place, you'll be facing a tough task though. And all of the south side isn't the same. It can be very rainy in spots in Kalaheo as well so a good deal there might leave you back in the rain. Might want to skim Craigslist to get a sense of what true long term rentals go for as that's your competition.

California
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2012 Monthly rental on Kauai for winter

Think carefully about spending winter N. Shore. I have been there than and never again unless it is dry season. It was a terrible Hawaii Vacation. Yes, it is lush and beautiful there but winter is best South Shore. Just sayin