We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking Distance to Poipu Beach?

Cardiff, California
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Walking Distance to Poipu Beach?

Hello - our family of 14 will be travelling to Kauai June 2013 and are looking at private homes to rent for our stay. We are looking at a property (address 1675-1 Makanui Road Poipu Hawaii HI 96756 USA) and are wondering if we can walk to Poipu Beach. We have little ones in tow (4.5.and 6 yrs old), and just want to make sure the roads we cross are not too busy. Thank you.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking Distance to Poipu Beach?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Makanui Rd. is roughly across the street and up the block from the Makahuena condos on Pe'e Rd.

You could walk to Po'ipu Beach Park, but it would be a long slog downhill (Pe'e Rd. is pretty steep) - and then back up again.

Distance wise it isn't bad (I'd guess 1/2 mile, a little more?) - but Pe'e Rd. is either all downhill or uphill to Po'ipu Beach from there.

As I said, you could do it - but with keiki (children) and beach stuff....it is going to be a pain up and down that hill and then around to Makanui Rd.

I have a friend who lives on that street - it is a very nice location and you might have a view since you are up on a hill - don't know exactly the location of your rental however.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
38,326 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking Distance to Poipu Beach?

14 all in the same house.

You are brave!!!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking Distance to Poipu Beach?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I talked to my friend who lives on Makanui Rd. yesterday (she teaches my exercise class) - she said that she sees lots of families schlepping their keiki (children) and beach stuff down to the beach - she doesn't think it is a bad hike and plenty of folks do it.

Just her perspective as someone who lives on the street.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,943 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking Distance to Poipu Beach?

If you look at Google Maps, it's more like 8/10 of a mile from the house to Poipu Beach Park. Pe'e Road is not busy at all but it is steep in some areas. It's not a bad hike at all but with a 4 1/2 and 6 year old and all of your beach stuff, it might be easier to drive. We stayed close to there in June (Poipu Sands) and we ended up driving to the beach in front of the Sheraton on several days for easy parking and great boogie boarding. Poipu Beach Park will be better for the smaller kids since it's protected at one end from the surf.

Tulare, California
Level Contributor
406 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking Distance to Poipu Beach?

I came accross this house while searching for a place to stay next summer. its 4 bedrooms,2500 sq. ft. and 200 ft from poipu beach park. Its alot closer.

summitpacificinc.com/KauaiVacationHomes/poip…

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,943 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking Distance to Poipu Beach?

There are a lot of houses that are closer to the beach that will house 14 people. I drove up to Makanui Road a couple of weeks ago and the houses up there have great views. And this house has a pool.

This house is right on Baby's Beach with a guest cottage in the back. It's very reasonably priced.

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-homes/lanai/

Cardiff, California
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking Distance to Poipu Beach?

Wow - thank you all for your insight and feedback! I will definitely look at the other homes you've highlighted. I was looking at google maps as well - but could not gage the street grade so having your perspective is awesome. Thanks again. I'm sure I will ask for more advice as our vacation nears!

8. Re: Walking Distance to Poipu Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 13, 2013