We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place for groceries in the Poipu area

Boulder, CO
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Best place for groceries in the Poipu area

We are finishing up a week in Princeville and have found the Food Land market very reasonable (as opposed to the Safeway in Kapaa which was ridiculously overpriced). Is there a Food Land equivalent in the Poipu area?

santa cruz
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place for groceries in the Poipu area

No Foodland in Poipu, There is a Big Save in Koloa but it's not my favorite place to shop. There is Sueoka Store in Koloa which I like to shop at. It's a small family run grocery store. We usually stock up at Foodland and then make small trips to Sueoka Store for items we run out of or for fresh fish.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
852 posts
870 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place for groceries in the Poipu area

We also preferred Sueoka's Market over the Big Save in Koloa. Sueoka's is on the main drag in the row of shops in Old Koloa town.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place for groceries in the Poipu area

We prefer the Big Save over Sueoka's. But they are just down the street from each other so you can check them both out. I think Big Save has a better selection of the items we are personally looking for.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,728 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place for groceries in the Poipu area

We don't buy food to supply a condo, or cook dinners, but buy fruit, juices, flowers, etc. for breakfast or snacks and always go to Sueoka's for the local fresh items. Just love shopping in a small mom and pop store.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,376 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place for groceries in the Poipu area

Agree with marti, check out both stores. Also the Koloa Fish market. I LOVE grocery shopping on Kaua‘i, so much to try that is not available in my local grocery store! I walk every aisle. There is a Foodland in Waipouli, just down the road from the Safeway. Prices are actually better at that store than at the Princeville store, except for sale items.

Have you made it to any of the Farmer's Markets?

3Chihuahuas

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,709 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place for groceries in the Poipu area

We stock up at Times Supermarket and Costco in Lihue and then use Big Save, Sueoka, Kukui'ula and Living Foods to supplement based on needs.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place for groceries in the Poipu area

I'm curious about the comment on the Safeway in Kapaa. We have not shopped there often since we mostly stay in Poipu. I was planning on stopping there on our way south after spending sometime on the north shore. I don't remember the prices being "ridiculously overpriced". We have a Safeway Club card so we will get some discounts. Can someone else comment on that?

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,828 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place for groceries in the Poipu area

Martik - I haven't found it (Safeway) to be that way. It isn't my regular store, but I do shop there on occasion. The Safeway Card is vital - just like the Makai card at Foodland - or it could get up there, true.

In Poipu, we shop Big Save primarily. There is a bigger one (Big Save) in Ele'ele if you happen to be coming back from the west side and need supplies. Big Save isn't what it used to be, before the Times take over. But I am very glad it is there!

As Marti says, the stores are very close in Koloa; do stop in at Sueoka's, too.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,841 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place for groceries in the Poipu area

We shop at Von's almost exclusively at home and have had a club card for years. I like the Safeway in Kapaa; they have a fabulous selection and it's very much like our Von's at home. I will have to make a mental note on the prices compared to So. Cal when we shop there (in about 2 weeks!)

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,752 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place for groceries in the Poipu area

Big Save in Koloa has a much bigger selection on breads, fruit, meat, dairy, just about everything, over Sueoka's. In addition, they run weekly specials on stuff.