We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best condo in Poipu

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
469 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best condo in Poipu

Have been looking and looking and cant decide-which condo property is the best in your opinion as of 7/26/2011?- factors include location, ease of renting, price in relation to product, friendliness and attention to detail and most updated property. Oceanviews are nice but not necessary. We are traveling in October and after much discussion have decided to stay on the south shore. Thanks.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best condo in Poipu

you might check out:

Kiahuna Plantation ( condos) Poipu, on the beach. Not brand new, but very nice, super location, clean property, friendly people, and the beach right out front. Very pleasant feeling.

We have not stayed there, but have visited mainland friends who have stayed there, and we really liked it.

Large green belt area, that also overlooks the beach. We were there for sunset and then a bbq. What I thought was pretty special, is that the guests are out on their lanais, or on the grass, or on the beach enjoying the ritual of a kauai sunset.

Interiior of the unit was also excellent, and the price is moderate. I would think good property, and fair price is right on.

We joined them for cocktails and talking story out on their first floor lanai, overlooking the beach. And then watched the sunset and bbq'd....totally great feeling.

If I remember correctly their units were the single story, and more toward the sheraton as far as getting a bearing on the location on property.

Check out their website and see if if might suit your needs. October is coming pretty quickly, best make a decision soon.

Denny

Edited: 11:13 am, July 26, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Kiahuna Plantation Resort
1,838 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
39,770 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best condo in Poipu

You will get many, many responses. We all have our favorites. Probably the most popular would fit that category likePoipu Kapili, Poipu Sands or Whaler's Cove. Kiahuna Plantation would definitely be the top runner. You can rent there in many different ways including through Castle Management and Outrigger. If you want to go through a rental agency for ease of booking try Parrish or Great Vacations. They both proved very good customer service.

www.summitpacificinc.com/whalers-cove.html

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/1-bedroom.html

Mentioned in this post
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
390 Reviews
Kauai, HI
1,838 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best condo in Poipu

Best condo will mean different things to different people. By my definitions the best would be Whaler's Cove, Poipu Kapili, Kiahuna Plantation , Poipu Sands and the Regency Villas at Poipu Kai.

As far as ease of renting , friendliness and attention to detail you have to keep in mind that with with any condo complex that can be a number of rental agents involved. Plus, some units are managed directly by the owner. So there is no one answer to that question. It all depends on who you go through. Poipu Kapili might just be the oddball here. I believe just about all of their units are handled by one management at PoipuKapili.com

Mentioned in this post
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
390 Reviews
Kauai, HI
1,838 Reviews
Kauai, HI
The Villas at Poipu Kai
The Villas at Poipu Kai
260 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,370 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best condo in Poipu

We really like Nihi Kai. We stayed in #200 last summer and loved the easy access to the pool and the beach is a very short walk. We decided on #820 this year and the views from building 8 were amazing. The walk to the pool and beach were maybe 5 minutes more. I found that the prices of the Nihi Kai units to be very competitive and a very good value. For the most updated units, look for the premier interiors. Our unit in June was newly remodeled with a fabulous kitchen.

parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/nihi-kai-villa…

Mentioned in this post
Nihi Kai Villas
Nihi Kai Villas
147 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Hawaii
Level Contributor
528 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best condo in Poipu

My top choices would be Whalers Cove, Poipu Shores, Regency, and Kuhio Shores (some great deals there). Haven't stayed at Poipu Kapili but they look nice.

Keep in mind unit quality varies greatly within properties. Finding the ones that stand out is the hard part.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu Shores Resort
Poipu Shores Resort
196 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
390 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
469 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best condo in Poipu

I think we have it down to Villas at Poipu Kai, Poipu Kapilli, or Whalers Cove. They all appear very nice and i will contact each to see if there are other specials-any favorite locondos at these places?

Mentioned in this post
The Villas at Poipu Kai
The Villas at Poipu Kai
260 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,173 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best condo in Poipu

If you're looking seriously at Poipu Kai it's location, location, location there. Meaning..... the place is huge and divided into 5 or 6 different condo developments. Very spread out, not all are walking distance to the beaches. Be very careful with Poipu Kai or you could end up in a unit set way back with no view and not in walking distance to very much. If a swimming beach is important ask for the Manualoha wing. And then ask for a low numbered unit to be closer to the water. If you prefer being over next to the Hyatt and a beach is not important then ask for Poipu Sands. Now keep in mind this is just narrowing down the property. You then may want to narrow down the unit number. Poipu Kai Resort is a misnomer imo. Picture 5 or so condo developments that are contiguous to each other and they got together and banded into a group called Poipu Kai Resort, mostly for marketing purposes.

Honestly, Poipu Kapili or Whaler's Cove are less of a gamble.

Edited: 9:02 pm, July 26, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
390 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,120 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best condo in Poipu

Poipu Kapili is far and away our favorite, but we like Kiahuna Plantation as well. We would like Whaler's Cove better if it was more central like Kiahuna.

The New Koloa Landing is nice now, but will be nicer when the landscaping grows out.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
390 Reviews
Kauai, HI
1,838 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Koloa Landing Resort at Poipu, Autograph Collection
Koloa Landing Resort at...
2,058 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,639 posts
561 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best condo in Poipu

As you can see, best is definitely in the eye of the beholder. :)

I do not like the location of Poipu Kapili but think that Manualoha (buildings 2-6) and Poipu Sands projects within the Poipu Kai resort are the "best." Nihi Kai development is also very-very nice and the unit Martik is talking about is pretty amazingly located. Surf right onto suiteparadise.com and check their selection. Then follow up with a phone call to inquire regarding the specifics. Kiahuna Plantation also enjoys a good reputation here.

Edited: 12:07 am, July 27, 2011
Mentioned in this post
Poipu Kapili
Poipu Kapili
390 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Nihi Kai Villas
Nihi Kai Villas
147 Reviews
Kauai, HI
1,838 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
469 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best condo in Poipu

The Villas at Poipu Kai look to be different than the Regency? They are poolside and have great reviews. You reserve right from the staff there. I realize they are not beachfront but appear close to a beach and near the Hyatt.

Mentioned in this post
The Villas at Poipu Kai
The Villas at Poipu Kai
260 Reviews
Kauai, HI