We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to respond

North Collins, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
how to respond

This will probably seem mundane but.......how do you respond to mahalo, here after someone says thank you the response is your welcome.so what is the hawaian way.

Mahalo. Brian

(yah whoo will be in Kauai mon. for 2 wksaway from the east winter brrr...)

California
Level Contributor
9,696 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to respond

This is what I found: "He mea iki" or "He mea ole" which means a little thing or nothing. I've actually never heard anyone using these phrases, though.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
10,560 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: how to respond

You generally don't respond....

First, mahalo is not in exceptionally common usage outside the visitor, hospitality and food service industries, although it is on the rise in email use.

And it is normally used among people who know each other and not so much when strangers are dealing together.

"T'anks huh Brah" is far more common.

And the "you're welcome" part just isn't part of daily ettiquite. If something is said in response to mahalo it is on the order of "eh, no worries bruddah" or "shoots, it's cool", or equally informal and humbly dismissive, or is shown with a hug and kiss.

Frankly, the "transaction" pretty much ends at mahalo.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,065 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to respond

My kumu `olelo says that for a really big thing you can respond "A`ole pilikia." (No trouble.) But Amberloo is right; it's pretty unusual to hear a Hawaiian response to Mahalo.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to respond

A smile?? :o)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,903 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how to respond

Aloha from Kaua'i!

First of all, I'll second what most others have said - My Kumu of 'Olelo Hawai'i (Hawaiian Language) also says that usually you don't respond to it unless you are speaking to someone who knows 'Olelo Hawai'i - in which case either "A'ale pilikia (or a'ole pilikia) works (means...no trouble!) - or

'He mea iki" (no big thing) would be proper as a response.

If you aren't comfortable speaking 'Olelo Hawai'i and the person saying mahalo to you isn't - then I'd just leave it be - that is fine and proper in that case.

Malama Pono (take care),

Janet

6. Re: how to respond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, October 12, 2012