We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Colorado
3 posts
Save Topic
Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Hi, I have a one year old and was thinking about bringing her with us on the helicopter tour. She would be a free lap child. Has anyone done this or been up with someone with a child on their lap? I am just curious how this would be. Is it really loud? Scary? Safe? Thanks for any feedback.

LONDON
Level Contributor
11 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Good post. Read it with interest. Funny I wanted to book a hot air balloon ride and they ban under 8 year old. But now looking for helicopter ride for ghe family. 30 mins over London. I have a four year old girl

Edited: 6:28 am, July 13, 2014
Kilauea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
21 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

don't do it...unforseen intangibles. Chopper cannot suddenly land if a drama happens,etc. Two companies will allow. They want your biz, I worked for one of them. i've been to crashes throughout my fire fighter career...although extremely rare, they occur. Find a sitter?

1 post
Save Reply
33. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

I took my 1 year old and my 3 year kids on a helicopter tour recently. Like other posts mentioned, the 1year old was initially trying to take off his life jacket and headphones but then once we boarded, he fell asleep 15-20 min into the flight. It was really no big deal holding him in my lap and airplane rides are a lot bumpier than our helicopter was. Now, my 3 year old was initially excited but then got scared and was unhappy for the majority of the flight. However, even when she cried initially, nobody could hear her since it's so loud once you're inside and everyone will be wearing headphones anyways. So I would not be too concerned about bothering others, eve if you have an upset child, nobody will be able to hear it. Ideally, you want the child to be excited and comfortable but even for parents that's sometimes hard to predict...

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

This is new info to me...

We are planning our trip.

Thanks to this thread, if booking a helicopter tour, I would be aware to check with these companies and AVOID any of them which would allow this.

Children on a tour is one thing...

But, young children in a heliicopter without a child-restraint and their own seat/personal space.

No way.

California
Level Contributor
37,472 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

<<eve if you have an upset child, nobody will be able to hear it. Ideally, you want the child to be excited and comfortable but even for parents that's sometimes hard to predict...>>

You know I don't agree with this.

If I SAW a child crying I would be concerned. Even if I couldn't hear him it would bother me knowing that they were upset and would ruin MY expensive trip. I still think its terrible to put a child through that experience just so the parents can enjoy themselves.

Take Kauaigotoguys advice.

New York City
Level Contributor
302 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

if that's the case, request to be on a helicopter without children. You can't dictate to parents where they can or cannot bring their children simply because you don't want to see them.

Children can cry on an airplane, they can cry in a hotel, they can cry in a restaurant, they are children after all, and you were once a child too. If children ruin your experiences, then you should seek out children free environments.

California
Level Contributor
37,472 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

<<Children can cry on an airplane, they can cry in a hotel, they can cry in a restaurant, they are children after all, and you were once a child too. If children ruin your experiences, then you should seek out children free environments.>>

That's why some helicopter companies don't allow children. Good advice to ask the company if kids are riding with you if you don't want them around.

I WAS once a child, I had children, but I wouldn't have taken them on a helicopter ride until they were older (I think my daughter was 10). A copter is a completely different experience than being in a plane. Its not like you can grab the crayons and writing pad and entertain them while you have just paid $300 for a 55 min flight.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,786 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

My children are used to flying in a small airplane. They are strapped in (used their car seats for years) and wear ear prtection (they can now wear the David Clark headsets). But I STILL have not taken them on a helicopter tour on Kauai. Waited until they were old enough to enjoy it and now, they really have no interest. There are great babysitting services on the island (which we have used).

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Nobody is dictating anything.

And this is about far more than 'not wanting to see children'.

For those of us who are concerned whether a small helicopter is an appropriate environment for a young child, especially when they are allowed to ride on someones lap, we now know to inquire whether these tour operators allow this, before booking.

I honestly had not even thought that any of these operators would allow this.

Information like this is what is so great about TA!!!!

New York City
Level Contributor
302 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Toddler on Helicopter Tour?

Agreed, TA is great in that there is the ability to connect people from across the globe with the full spectrum of opinions.

This particular forum is regarding children on helicopters.

I think it's fair to say that Blue Hawaiian does indeed allow children on their helicopters.

It is then up the the parents to decide if they are willing to pay that cost considering that the child may not appreciate it. And it is up to the other passengers to specify that they would like to ride on a helicopter that is child free if that is a concern.

As i remember, they generally have multiple flights going out at a time, and i doubt it is common to take children on these flights, so it really shouldn't be hard to get a child free tour.

That said, those of us who have taken children on a flight (myself included, and they remember it to this day) did not seem to have any issues ourselves, so others who may be in a similar predicament can now make an informed decision if they would or would not like to take their children on the helicopter.