We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai photographic tour/150 photo trip report, with captions

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
737 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai photographic tour/150 photo trip report, with captions

Hello! My wife, son, and I just returned a few days ago from a wonderful ten day stay on Kauai. Whether you are a Kauai veteran or currently planning a trip there, I invite you to look over our shoulders as we ventured around the island. A majority of the images are from the south shore, as we stayed in the Po'ipu area (Kuhio Shores condos), but we made it all over, to the west, east, and south coasts, as well.

Please go, if interested, to ...

Picasaweb.google.com/mjneenan

and then click on the Kauai, 2009 album. If you would like the images to fill up your monitor, click on the "full screen" icon in the upper left corner and then hit F11 on your keyboard, to completely fill your screen. You can alternate between "hide" and "show" captions, if my sometimes lengthy comments get in the way of the photo. I, by all means, mean this report to be a conversation starter with anybody actively planning a trip to Kauai. I have done similar such photo trip reports in the last few years and have enjoyed interactions with TripAdvisor posters. I will try to answer your queries within a day or so. If I have labeled any place or animal or plant in error, I welcome any corrections!

We had a marvelous time ... what an absolutely crazy beautiful island!

Mike

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
737 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
151. Re: Kauai photographic tour/150 photo trip report, with captions

Cr8z4u, Could our paths soon cross on the BI? Well, look for a guy with his camera out, most likely bending down for a better angle - might just be me! Hope your husband enjoys his new wide angle ... if he's never used one before, he most certainly will love the results.

Raider10, Enjoy DC ... quite hot and humid this time of the year, but so much to do and see and many A/C museums and so on. Tell your hubbie that I adore my D7000 ... it is awesome in low light. Glad you both found my albums and tips useful. Happy travels!

Upland, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
152. Re: Kauai photographic tour/150 photo trip report, with captions

Thank you for both your Kauai/photography posts. we're heading there in three weeks. Your photos are amazing. Two years ago I went to Maui with my brand new DSLR. This time I know how to use all my settings and have a few lenses to try out...can't wait! Did you use a polarizing filter?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
737 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
153. Re: Kauai photographic tour/150 photo trip report, with captions

MahalofromCA, You're welcome ... I am STILL learning some of the settings on my camera, so I certainly know how that goes. ... For that Kauai trip, I did not use a polarizing filter; nor did I even have a tripod along - I was sort of in a "keep it relatively simple" mode for a few years with respect to what I was willing to drag along with me for photography purposes, especially on any one daily excursion or hike. ... Since then, I have been more willing to carry a bit more - there's always a tradeoff. Tripods and extra lenses are both heavy and cumbersome. For our upcoming Big Island trip - which starts today, yay! - I am going to have a tripod along and I have my full assortment of lenses (like longer telephoto, macro, 50mm/1.4, etc.). ... So that was a long answer to a simple question of yours. I will indeed be using a polarizing filter on this trip. I have two different ones, one that fits my 18-135 zoom lens and the other for my super wide angle lens (10-20mm). ... Have a blast in Kauai and happy creative photography! Kauai will give your camera and you many phenomenal opportunities.

Mike

Volente, Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
154. Re: Kauai photographic tour/150 photo trip report, with captions

Wow, what stunning photos! Thanks for sharing! As a former Biology teacher, I share your love of all that nature has to offer, particularly in Hawaii. I haven't captured quite the way you have, but your pics are inspiring and give me lots of new ideas to try. Wish I had seen your post before we left on our trip!

We just returned from Kauai with 1000's of pics to sort through. I will be using Picasa to work on them, too. Hoping some of them will be worthy of posting here on TA.

Looking very forward to seeing your pics from the Big Island. Kauai and the BI are my 2 favorites. Have a fabulous time!

Mahalo

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,763 posts
Save Reply
155. Re: Kauai photographic tour/150 photo trip report, with captions

Aloha,

Thanks again Mike.

Can you visit Oahu so we can some great pic's too ?

Aloha

Lima, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
156. Re: Kauai photographic tour/150 photo trip report, with captions

And here I am almost 3 years out from your trip and enjoying viewing your photographs of Kauai. They are the best I have ever seen! We have been to Kauai twice, but I did not see a fraction of what you captured. Thanks and know that people will still see your reports for a LONG time to come!

california
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
157. Re: Kauai photographic tour/150 photo trip report, with captions

mjneenan~your pictures are just incredible! Every single one of them are stunning in their own way, I was truly captivated and read every single caption, it was fascinating indeed! I am embarrassed to say I take most of my pictures on my iPhone, I am thinking now that I just invest in a good camera before my Kauai trip next year!

I peeked around your picasa web albums, found your album of northern california, got to picture #86...made me smile, it's my home town. In fact I just showed my daughter the wood carving art from #87 just the other day, I used to love to look at it when I was a little girl!

I also had fun looking at your Costa Rica/Manuel Antonio album, I have been there a few times (my dad lives in Costa Rica) but I have yet to see the elusive sloth! And you saw more than one! Lucky!

I look forward to your BI pictures, I have spend a lot of time on that island and can't wait to see it through your eyes, you have quite a talent. I am so happy this post was revived recently!

California
Level Contributor
38,382 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
158. Re: Kauai photographic tour/150 photo trip report, with captions

Aloha Mike. Even reviewing them is a treat. I don't want to gush too much because you'll get such a big head we will have to PAY to see your future pictures. lol

Have fun on The BI.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
737 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
159. Re: Kauai photographic tour/150 photo trip report, with captions

Jebett, no need to worry about me getting too big a head ... My wife and son find it to be in their job description to point out EVERY one of my peccadillos, of which there appear to be many! ... First day on BI has been fantastic so far ... At Hawaii Volcanoes NP and it is amazing. (Free!) photos to follow in a few weeks.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
737 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
160. Re: Kauai photographic tour/150 photo trip report, with captions

@Honeymooner ... iPhones are wonderful and I duly adore mine, but no matter how they upgrade the embedded camera, it'll never give you the creative control that a digital SLR will - there are very good starter ones now for about $600. ... I loved Eureka - what a cool place to grow up!

@linakaLima ... Your comments made me smile - thanks! They give me added incentive to continue to share our travel experiences via photos and their related stories.

@jet83 ... Oahu is definetely on our list!

@LKTravis ... We all indeed learn from each other - just before we left for this BI trip, I bought a landscape photography DVD and picked up a few new tricks. ... Have fun sorting out all your thousands of Kau'i photos! Though I enjoy that process, I know full well that their sheer volume can be quite intimidating, particularly if you're going to do post processing ... Good luck.