We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report: 10/10 - 10/17/09 Part 2 Mon & Tue

San Francisco
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report: 10/10 - 10/17/09 Part 2 Mon & Tue

Mon: We woke up at 5:30am and heard the sound of the birds through the open glass door (no roosters!). It was so relaxing and I've never felt this way before on a vacation. Kauai was truly beautiful and peaceful. It was sunny that it made me jump with joy. It was too early to go out for breakfast. I bought some dried salami the day before so I ate salami and then a papaya for breakfast. BF ate salami with a beer (yes, a beer at 7am in the morning, isn't vacation great?)

We left the house at 9:30am hoping the shrimp truck would be there on Lawai road near the roundabout. But she wasn't there so we drove to Koloa fish market only to find it had not yet been opened. So I saw Big Save and we stopped there to buy grocery. By the way, we got around the island using the GPS on my iPhone. I bought Navigon for $89 and it was worth it with the voice direction.

We bought 3 meals worth of food that include pork chop, frozen fish, vegetables, mushroom. We also grabbed some fruits, water, juice, beer and it came out to be $92. By the time we were done with grocery, Koloa fish market was opened. We ordered the lau lau and kalua pig combo, tako poke (octopus), seaweed salad, a can of Arizona iced tea and paid around $25. On the way back to the condo, the shrimp truck was there on Lawai road just after turning off Poipu road just after the turnabout. It was 10:45am so we knew when she would be there for next time.

Back to the condo, we had our lunch and the food was very good. I loved the tako poke while BF was into the seaweed salad. The lau lau was yummy and the kalua pig was similar to Marriott marketplace.

After lunch, we got ready to go across the street to Lawai beach for snorkeling and it was raining. We waited for less than 5 min and it stopped raining so we gathered the beach mats provided by the condo and headed out. Only a few steps away and we were at Lawai beach and it started to sprinkle. We were surprised to find that the rain was refreshing and it didn't bother us at all so we sat under the light rain. A couple of minutes later, it stopped raining. We got down to the water and realized we had to go out deep enough to see the fish. BF wasn't a good swimmer and not comfortable snorkeling without a floaty so he went back to the condo to get the water noodle that we saw in the condo. He was back with fins and I was excited. We brought our own snorkel gears but without fins. I was starting to like Prince Kuhio more and more. It cost us $625 for 5 nights cleaning fee included so it was a very good deal.

Snorkeling at Lawai beach was very good. We saw plenty of fish, big, small, colorful fish. We were able to avoid stepping on corals the entire time. There were other snorkelers but it wasn't too crowded. We hung out at Lawai beach for a long time.

Back to the condo, I cooked pork chop for dinner and BF made salad. There were lots of ingredients at the condo to marinate the pork chop. The meal was ok because I was just an ok cook. After dinner, we got lazy so we just hung out at the condo watching movies and went to bed early. There was free wifi at the condo (or probably a neighbor's wifi). I checked the forecast and it was supposed to be sunny on Wed so I called Jack Harter to book at 3pm helicopter ride for Wed.

Tue: I realized we forgot to buy grocery for breakfast. Making breakfast at the condo was more important than dinner because we woke up early so it was hard to get breakfast. I ended up making pork chop for breakfast. This time I used the good soy sauce at the condo (Lee Kum Kee) to marinate the pork chop and the meal was much better than yesterday.

We drove on Lawai road to get to Spouting Horn. I brought my SLR camera and the new 18-200mm lens that I loved. I was able to zoom in to take some very good photos. After Spouting Horn, we drove to Waimea canyon. It was a long drive on windy road but the drive was worth it. The parking lot at the Waimea canyon lookout was full but we didn't have to wait long for someone to leave. From the lookout, I could not see the coast because it was foggy but the canyon was beautiful. We stopped by the shrimp station on the way back and ordered Thai spicy shrimp and coconut shrimp. The Thai spicy shrimps in salsa sauce was the dish that we both liked over the coconut shrimp. It wasn't that spicy but it was very tasty. We paid $25.

By the time we were done with lunch, it was only 1pm so we decided to check out the waterfalls. We drove to Wailua fall. Even though the fall could only be seen from the lookout from the side, it was very close to the road and it was beautiful. We saw rainbow at the fall.

'Opeaka'a Falls was where we visited next. This was where my zoom lens came in handy as the fall was far away from the look out. We crossed the street to take a look at the Wailua river and saw the kayaks on the river. I decided we would go on the kayak tour so I called to book the tour for Friday.

We stopped by Lydgate beach and used the restroom to change into swimsuits. We swam in the calm water and totally loved this beach. We saw big fish swimming by and was able to take some underwater photos with the Olympic waterproof camera (highly recommend this camera for underwater photos).

We came back and made fried fish for dinner. Dinner was good. We drove to Hyatt at around 6:30pm. The resort has beautiful landscape. We parked on the street and walked into the resort and to the seaview terrace for live music. The musician (sorry I did not know his name) was very good with the guitar and had a good voice. We ordered drink and enjoyed the music until 8pm. We walked around the resort. Even though it was dark, we could see the pool, the lagoon, and best of all, the stars. We saw a snail on the road so BF kicked it to help it get to the side. I yelled at him for kicking at it and the next thing I knew, I heard a crunchy sound and realized I've stepped on one because it was so dark and I couldn't see. I felt terrible for the snail and I kept my eyes on my feet until we got out of Hyatt.

In summary, our trip had got better and better at this point.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Lawai Beach Resort
Lawai Beach Resort
484 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Koloa Fish Market
Koloa Fish Market
827 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Spouting Horn
Spouting Horn
4,426 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Waimea Canyon
Waimea Canyon
5,856 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,335 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report: 10/10 - 10/17/09 Part 2 Mon & Tue

Yeah a trip report. Thanks.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,335 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report: 10/10 - 10/17/09 Part 2 Mon & Tue

Yeah a trip report. Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
39,770 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report: 10/10 - 10/17/09 Part 2 Mon & Tue

Thank you for being careful about not stepping on the coral.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report: 10/10 - 10/17/09 Part 2 Mon & Tue

Pork chops/beer and fresh fish for bfast!!

Thanks for posting. Very nice report.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,316 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report: 10/10 - 10/17/09 Part 2 Mon & Tue

Wonderful report, keep going!

6. Re: Trip report: 10/10 - 10/17/09 Part 2 Mon & Tue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, April 20, 2010