We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cane spiders

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
cane spiders

Hi there, thanks for all the info on Oct. weather. I have another question. What are the chances of me & a cane spider meeting up? I have read that they are harmless but HUGE. I hate spiders, they make my skin crawl. One of the good things about life in Alaska, hardly any and only in the summer! I read that someone who stayed at the Prince Kuhio resort found one in their room which totally freaked me out. I did ask our condo owner (at Kuhio Shores) about them & he said he has never even seen one on the grounds. And that they spray every few months. So unless in the deep woods will I be lucky and not run into one? Do I need to bring lots of prozac?!

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cane spiders

Don't worry about them. I have seen one once in 20 trips over. It jumped on our suitcse at the airport! I was ready to leave the suitcase, but hubby ran him off. We have stayed at Kuhio Shores and Prince Kuhio multiple times -- no big spiders.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cane spiders

I don't think there are many cane spiders in the resort areas....cane spiders used to live in the cane fields. Since the cane fields have diminished significantly, cane spiders now often live in more open areas. I had a few cane spiders in my old house that was very woodsy. Since moving, I have not seen one.

California
Level Contributor
37,277 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cane spiders

I have never seen one in almost 30 years of going to Kauai. I did have a friend who saw a dead one recently. It was out in some jungley area. (jungley? is that even a word?)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cane spiders

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I live in the Po'ipu Beach area - I have had 2 cane spider "close encounters" in my house in the 11 years we have lived here - and believe me, they are the only creepy crawlie that really bugs me (no pun intended).

I think if you are staying in a resort that the chances of meeting up with one are extremely minimal - while they are certainly around - condos, hotels, etc. have staff that attend to these types of things.

They certainly do exist - I can attest to that!

Malama Pono,

Janet

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,934 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cane spiders

We've had several here at the house, but we're in the midst of ideal habitat and haven't done any spraying.

jebett, remember sitting on my couch that time? There was one staring at you from behind the TV. A big one. 8~0

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cane spiders

We visited Kauai for 12 years, and now are going on our fourth year as residents.

Never came across a cane spider....but where we stayed, and lived, they sprayed inside and out.

Also we are out hiking all over the island.

We have also stayed at Kuhio Shores on one occasion, and never saw bug one.

Denny

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,180 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cane spiders

I doubt that you will see one, but they are around, which is not a bad thing – they eat roaches - they are night hunters rather than spinning a web. And unless you really provoke the spider, it won’t bite you.

I’ve only seen one – it was hanging out in an outside storage cabinet with the beach chairs. It stayed still so I could get some great photos of it.

3Chihuahuas

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cane spiders

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"It stayed still so I could get some great photos of it." Now that is unusual!

One of the things that really creeps me out about these guys is the way they take off skittering a 100mph - making them virtually impossible to catch.

We have a strict "no kill" policy in our hale, and with 2 indoor kitties, that isn't always easy - while I'm usually pretty happy they dispatch the wayward roach (there was a giant one this morning that one of my kitties deposited dead in front of me - wow, good morning and mahalo!) - I have wrested many, many geckos from their jaws safely and taken them outside, as well as the occasional lizard that got thru a puka in the screen. Even moths I try to trap in a plastic container and take outside.

Yeah, I know, but that's just how I am!

But when it comes to cane spiders - the 2 that we've had in our hale moved so incredibly quickly that there was no way to safely "catch" them and get them outdoors - so my hubby had to "dispatch" them alternatively. Seeing one of those giant puppies crawling quickly around your white wall was a true "Halloween" moment come to life!

The condos we live in are tented regularly, but this is the tropics, and since we live in an area that used to be cane fields all around us - and still have a little "buffer zone" of trees and foliage before the "Estate" place next to us - critters still are around occasionally - but since we live on a second floor - we have far less than those folks on the first floor. I'm personally glad for the geckos and would miss them terribly if they disappeared - their soft "chirping" at night is one of the lovliest sounds and I enjoy them - don't mind them in the hale either as long as the kitties leave them alone! They definitely dispatch any skeeters or other small bugs.

As I said, anyplace that rents to visitors, particularly a hotel or condo - they are going to be hyper-aware of bug/gecko issues and the chances are very slim of you encountering one of these guys - outside or in (cane spiders that is).

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
754 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cane spiders

I'd rather have a cane spider than a centipede any day. I used to have cane spiders come into my bathroom a lot and everytime I'd take a shower, I would look up and see one of those guys staring at me. Creepy. Buttttt SO much better than centipedes IMO.

10. Re: cane spiders

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 4:36 pm, August 21, 2013