We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anniversary Dinner

mn
4 posts
Save Topic
Anniversary Dinner

Hi,

My Wife and I will be on Kauai for our 25th wedding anniversary May 10th. Does anyone have a restaurant suggestion for such an occasion? I would like someplace I might be able to call ahead of time and set up something special. We will be in Princeville but anywhere on the island would be fine. Thanks.

California
Level Contributor
89 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anniversary Dinner

A window table at the Beach House in Poipu scheduled for sunset. Check the internet for sunset times on your anniversary and schedule the reservation to start about forty-five minutes to an hour before the sunset. The Tidepools at the Hyatt is great for special occasions too.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anniversary Dinner

We just did Tidepools at the Hyatt for our 30th in January. I knew before we went that I would probably think the cost was way too high for the food served, but we bit the bullet and said it was worth it for the wonderful atmosphere. I have to say that the torchlit lagoons surrounding your table full of koi is pretty special.

If you don't care about koi and don't want to drive so far, try the Hukilau Lanai at the Kauai Coast Resort in Kapaa. It is an excellent restaurant, gets rave reviews and has a very pretty open air gatrden type setting with a distant ocean view. The food is as good or better than Tidepools and maybe 1/2 the price.

Sylvania, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,826 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anniversary Dinner

We went to Tidepools for our anniversary last Sept and were not impressed. The services was ok and the prices quite high for what you got. The ambiance was great but not for the price.

We have never been to the Beach House but hear it is quite good with great sunsets.

Our favorite place to dine is Duke's. If you can reserve a table by the railing, there is a great view of Kalapaki Bay. Only bad thing is that the sun doesn't set on that side of the island.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,295 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Have you considered a private dinner on the beach? There are several companies that provide that service and it may not cost you a whole lot more than a restaurant dinner. Here is a company we used two years ago. I'm pretty sure that they have new owners now, though.

http://www.heavenlycreations.org/Default.asp

California
Level Contributor
36,413 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Beach House.

Bay Area California
Level Contributor
369 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anniversary Dinner

I'd have to second the Hukilau Lanai at the Kauai Coast Resort in Kapaa. I have reservations there on Sunday for my DH's birthday on our first night on the island.

I ate there a couple of years ago and it was a wonderful meal. I loved the tasting dinner they have but you have to be seated between 5pm and 6pm to get it. Just can't beat the price - a 5 course meal $25 and if you want the one that gives you wine with each course only $40.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,488 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anniversary Dinner

<<A window table at the Beach House in Poipu scheduled for sunset>>

There are no "window" tables at The Beach House. I think the posted meant front table with an unobstructed view. Be prepared, the entire restaurant gets up, cuts through the bushes to get pictures on the front lawn at sunset. Kind of a zoo in my opinion. But a lot of folks love this place. We've done the circus probably 30 times wiht mixed results in the last 5 years.

Other places to consider for a quiet, romantic vdinner:

Poipu:

Plantation Gardens, beautiful garden setting with excellent serive and food (IMO),

Tide Pools (we love this place but some folks have not had a great experience) OR

Dondero's (ask for a terrace seat). Wonderful northern Italian food with great food and fab. wine list.

Hanalei:

BarACuda - a "spanish Tapas" restaurant with a nice location. Not romantic but fun.

Mediterrean Gourmet in Haena - Great food and a nice ocean front location. Newer place and getting great reviews. We have been there 6 times and all times, great! They have unique entertainment on a nightly basis including belly dancing.

I don't know the north shore that well. But I have seen mixed review on Saffrons and Postcards.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
20,025 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anniversary Dinner

We go to Kauai every year for our Anniversary in Aug. Have tried all the restaurants during our stays, but like Tidepools at the Hyatt, for the most romantic spot, and is what we choose for our special day. Request a candlelit table by the open sliders, so you can see the waterfall and koi fish swim up to your table. You don't want a table in the middle of the room. The tiki lights are all around the lagoon, you can see the moon and stars, it's really lovely in the evening.

The price is the same category as the Beach House, Plantations Gardens or Roys, etc.

I would arrive at 6 PM for the live music at the Seaview Terrace, and if one of the days of the Torchlighting ceremony is taking place at 6:30, enjoy the free entertainment. Make your dinner reservations about 7 PM. Tidepools looks gorgeous in the evening.

This past year the concierge arranged for a special hut just for us and the server gave us excellent service. At the end of the evening we were presented a special dessert on the house.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Anniversary Dinner

<<This past year the concierge arranged for a special hut just for us and the server gave us excellent service. At the end of the evening we were presented a special dessert on the house.>>

Wow you can't get anymore romantic than that! Beautiful memories

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
595 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anniversary Dinner

Beach House all the way.