We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Koa Kea Hotel in June

chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Koa Kea Hotel in June

Husband and I are planning much needed get-away trip to Kauai in June. Can anyone give me information on the location of the new Koa Kea Hotel? The website is very sparse, without many photos. Is there a beach? Is the hotel brand new? or just a remodel? The rates are about the same as the Grand Hyatt, but we're unsure of what we'd be getting. Any other suggestions for high-end accommodations would be appreciated as well. We would rather stay at a hotel/resort than a condo - we definitely want to be pampered! The Grand Hyatt seems nice but maybe a bit to large and populated for us. Location doesn't matter, but we'd like to be near the beach. Chicago has treated us BAD this winter!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,597 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Koa Kea Hotel in June

The new Koa Kea is the remodel of the Poipu Beach Hotel, which was destroyed by Hurricane Iniki. It is a fabulous location on a great stretch of Poipu Beach. The old PBH was the original hotel on Poipu Beach, before the old Waiohai Resort and even before the Sheraton. These older places were built on prime oceanfront and Poipu Beach front property. By rebuilding on the ORIGINAL foundation of the destroyed PBH they avoided the new setback requirements. In other words, you can't get much more oceanfront.

It's like night and day , comparing it to the Hyatt. The Hyatt is huge, grandiose, ayet the beach is not very good for swimming. It prides itself on its grounds and luxury pools , including a salt water lagoon.

The new Koa Kea is oceanfront, great swimming/snorkeing, is a smaller boutique type hotel, less showy, less emphasis on the opulent common areas, yet with its own subdued elegance. The smaller pool of course cannot compare to the Hyatt pools but you don't have Poipu Beach right at your doorstep there.

On your question of if it is new or a remodel? Well, considering that it was only the foundation and basic shell of the old hotel, with it entirely gutted down to the beams only, then yes, I'd say it's entirely new.

Judging from your post, you want to be near the beach, I'd choose the Koa Kea over the Hyatt. In fact I'd choose the Koa Keea over the Hyatt no matter what. But that's just me. I wouldn't care for the size of the Hyatt myself.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Koa Kea Hotel in June

We drove over to check out the Koa Kea in January, but it was clear that theyhad quite a ways to go on the construction, so we didn't get to see anything interior. As Napaguy said, they are on a great stretch of beach -- and this is hard to find in hotels on Kauai. I hate to recommend it, because I haven't been inside yet, but it does sound like it is going to be great. I like the Hyatt too and have stayed there 3 times. It is on a much larger scale, but the design and grounds don't make it seem that way. So I guess if I wre in your position, I would take a chance and go with Koa Kea -- provided that as you get closer they can confirm their opening.

California
Level Contributor
38,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Koa Kea Hotel in June

I hate to recommend too because they keep saying they are going to open and then they don't.

The Hyatt is lovely. You can't go wrong there in my opinion. Yes it's large but there are plenty of places to hide and feel alone. Their spa is fabulous as are the restaurants.

Here's an idea. Book the Hyatt and then if the Koa Kea opens cancel that reservation and book the Koa Kea.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Koa Kea Hotel in June

Great idea jebett. All the bases would be covered. And eliz -- if you end up at the Hyatt you will have a great time.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Koa Kea Hotel in June

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Still no signage anywhere around here for the "Koa Ke'a" hotel - altho' it looks as if it is getting pretty darn close to being open - I have heard that they have called some employees for training, but no confirmation on opening date from the one individual I've spoken to who was hired.

I just don't know - it looks to be a fantastic place, but even if it is "low-key" - it is REALLY low key right now! Most folks don't even know where it is located!

And it is supposed to open next month?

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
38,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Koa Kea Hotel in June

Please keep us posted, Janet. They have changed their dates so much it wouldn't surprise me if they did so again. St Regis too.

Toms River, New...
Destination Expert
for Kapolei
Level Contributor
1,996 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Koa Kea Hotel in June

Their site says that they are opening mid-April. I'm going to be in Kauai staying at the Waiohai in May and I'm looking forward to having another lounge and restaurant next door. I'll definitely be checking out the resort (if it really does open) and will report back. We've been watching the place for five years and were thrilled to hear it was going to be renovated, now it seems like that's been going on FOREVER. Any has got to be better than the old wreck that stood there.

BTW...the beachs on either side of the property are great. Also, monk seals and turtles have swam up while we've been there. The snorkeling is great.

chicago
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Koa Kea Hotel in June

Thanks everyone for the info! Good suggestion to reserve both GH and Koa Kea, and then see what happens as it gets closer. I jut called and was informed that they're still on target for April opening, so we'll see........... One last question, if we do end up at the Grand Hyatt, will it be run over with kids beginning of June? Is June a busy time in Kauai? Forgot to ask earlier, is there a luxury resort in the North that we should consider? I realize the St. Regis will not be open by then. Sorry, I guess that's three questions, actually.

California
Level Contributor
38,386 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Koa Kea Hotel in June

The good thing about The Hyatt is they have an adults only pool. I do think there will be a lot of kids as it's summer break, but honestly it is so large you can hide. Until The St Regis opens in July The Hyatt is it.

The North Shore is mostly made up of condos. The Westin timeshare is there, but talk about overrun with kids.... Hanalei Bay Resort is a condo resort so no room service but a lovely location and good pool. You can save a lot of money by renting a condo. Enough for some pretty good pampering at a spa.

Will the reservation department for KK let you reserve a room?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,597 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Koa Kea Hotel in June

Hawaii is a very popular place in the summer with families who don't want to pull their kids out of school during the school year. Everywhere. All the nice resorts. Especially those on/near good beaches which you want to be. Want to avoid this? Pick a different month.