We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Rental Deposit

Alameda, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Vacation Rental Deposit

Does this sound fishy to any of you?

I've only done a vacation rental in Hawaii once, and I was asked for a deposit, which went towards the cost of the whole stay.

I am considering this vacation rental on the North Shore, and they are asking for a $500 deposit, and "full payment is due 45 days in advance at which time my deposit becomes my security deposit which is refunded after departure."

I am a little wary, but not sure if I should be or not.

Help! :)

Central Ca.
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Rental Deposit

This is normal according to my experience. What do you feel wary about?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,027 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Rental Deposit

Its normal.

Private lodging like on www.vrbo.com is rented out just like apartments.

California
Level Contributor
37,017 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Rental Deposit

Yes many owners do it that way.

NE PA
Level Contributor
953 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Rental Deposit

We pay $200 at time of booking,(already paid for next February) 50% due at 6 months and remaining balance due 60 days prior to checkin. Upcoming trip is our 5th and all have had similar payment schedules and have had no problems. Yours sounds pretty typical.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
203 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Rental Deposit

I agree this is normal. The few times I've rented on VRBO this is how it was done. Granted my deposit was only $250, but overall it sounds fine.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation Rental Deposit

This is pretty normal. but the owner of the unit we're renting is just using our credit card as a security deposit. If possible, I try to rent from an owner that takes credit cards since that gives me more recourse in the event of a problem. But I've paid by check before, too, as long as I felt comfortable based on my contact with the owner. I know a lot of owners don't take credit cards because of the additional cost, but I'm willing to pay the extra they would have to charge to cover the processing fees just for the convenience and the peace of mind (not to mention the miles on my Hawaiian Airlines crdit card).

Central Ca.
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation Rental Deposit

DBL, we feel exactly as you do re the credit card issue. All things being equal, the "no credit cards" is a deal breaker for all the reasons you stated.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation Rental Deposit

Very normal. We pay $1000 deposit for a larger house ($500 for a condo or smaller house), full payment due 60 days in advance and the deposit is used as a security. We usually get the deposit back within a week of returning home but I always just apply it to the next rental.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation Rental Deposit

My rental agent now takes credit cards but they didn't a few years ago. Many places still do not take CC but I've never had a problem.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation Rental Deposit

It never used to be this way. But vacation rentals on Kauai are big business. The first few years we came to the island, we put down a couple hundred bucks and paid the balance when we got there!! But now, with today's prices, owners can't afford to take a chance on you not showing up. So, yes, what you are experiencing is pretty normal.