We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuhio Shores

Racine, WI
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Kuhio Shores

Which units are corners and which units are distant from the road?

Thanks for your help.

United States
Level Contributor
418 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuhio Shores

Kuhio Shores is L shaped with sarting with unit 1 being closest to the road. Units 1 - 8 face the bay - the '09 units are the corners - and 10 through 18 face the ocean. We have always stayed in the upper number units facing the ocean - it is great!

Oxnard, California
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuhio Shores

I stayed in a unit facing the bay last year - 303. I knew it was not as expensive as the south-facing, direct ocean units, so I was preparing myself for a little less luxury. I was amazed at how NICE the unit was though! In fact, the sound of the ocean was constant, and aside from a partial view of the road, I would not have known I wasn't completely facing the ocean.

Calgary
Level Contributor
722 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuhio Shores

I just wanted to let you know that if you are thinking of renting at the Kuhio Shores in the next few months that they are doing renos of the lanai. We were going to rent there but decided against it because of the construction.

Newark, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuhio Shores

We have been planning a trip to this property for months and just learned three weeks prior to departure that there will be ongoing construction to the outside of the building. It is my understanding that they have started the construction on the farthest ocean facing units (19) and will be doing each column and will be working downward from there. Does anyone know any details about the work? How extensive is it? How disruptive is it? What seems to be the progression of the work, or how long is it taking for each of the columns?

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuhio Shores

I might contact the person or rental agency you rented from and see what they say. I also think it may depend on how you react to disruption and how close they will be to you.

Newark, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuhio Shores

We have already spoke to the owner. The owner of the unit is not on the property and hasn't been able to answer specific questions about the actual construction. I was hoping to obtain information from someone who may have actually stayed or is staying at the complex while the construction is going on and could tell me a little more of the details, such as the noise levels, how quickly it is proceeding, etc.

Calgary
Level Contributor
722 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuhio Shores

Just last week we were in contact with one of the owners because we wanted to rent their unit for the end of January/ beginning of Feb.

She was good enough to provide us witha copy of the letter that was sent to her about the construction. I have since deleted the letter (I think), but it indicated that it would take until Xmas to do #'s 19- 9 and that after Xmas they would do 1-9. We decided to rent elsewhere because we have seen first hand how work is done on "Hawaii time". Once stayed at a condo where the pool was to be closed for "a few days" for repairs and it ended up being the full 2 weeks of our stay.

The other info in this letter indicated they would be working 9:00- 5:00, weekends and if your lanai was being worked on, all the patio furniture had to be removed. So I'm sure you wouldn't be able to use your lanai for a while.

What unit are you in?

Newark, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuhio Shores

Thank you for the update. I wasn't aware of the scheduled work hours, so that is a big help. We are staying in unit 216. We have been in contact with the owner and he has agreed to compensate us for the convenience. It is unfortunate that we were not able to find another place to stay on such short notice, but the owner was able to work with us to reach a satisfactory settlement. We are just trying to find out as many details about the construction, to find out how far along they are, etc. so that we are as prepared as we can be. Thanks again for the information.

NC
Level Contributor
91 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kuhio Shores

I am just back from staying in unit #310. While it is a nice unit, I would not recommend staying at this property until the construction is done. They started every morning at 7:30am and were doing some kind of jack hammering. It is noisy and you can feel the vibration in your unit. They were working about 5 units down from us but it still impacted our stay. Not only is there noise but there are ugly large blue crane type machines parked and working in the front of the building...so this impacts what would normally be an awesome view. Our friends were staying in a unit right in front of where they were working. She had to close all her windows due to dust/fumes coming off the unit they were jack hammering on. Remember there is no AC! She literally had workmen looking right into her unit. Again...these are great units and wonderful location. Normally, I would give a great recommendation on this place......just don't stay here for the next few months during this construction.

Newark, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Kuhio Shores

Thank you LiseD for your reply. Do you know the unit number that your friend was in?