We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advice on good area to stay in Kauai

East Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
need advice on good area to stay in Kauai

My husband and I will be spending a week in Kauai the week after Thanksgiving. We are trying to decide where to stay----what are the pluses and minuses to each area? We like to do a lot of exploring, don't require lots of nightlife, but want to have a convenient location without too many crowds. Any suggestions?? Thanks so much!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need advice on good area to stay in Kauai

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Each part of Kaua'i is very different from one another - while it is hard to sum up in a post what the pluses and minuses are for each - the phrase you use in your post about "convenient location" makes me think you want to stay someplace that is more centrally located than staying on either the North Shore or South Shore.

While I certainly wouldn't say that the East Side is "without too many crowds" - it is the center of the island to stay in if you want to be able to drive easily either North or South. It is the commercial center of the island and has lots of condos and vacation rentals to look into.

Kapa'a has lots of restaurants, shops and beautiful (if mostly unswimmable) beaches. It does also have the most traffic tie-ups on the island as well, but you can avoid them for the most part by planning your driving.

There is also the Marriot Kalapaki Beach in Lihu'e - a very lovely hotel (and time share) that is right on beautiful Kalapaki Beach.

Both the South and North Shores are lovely, but you will have to drive further to get to other parts of the island as our road does not circle the island.

Malama Pono,

Janet

california
Level Contributor
332 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need advice on good area to stay in Kauai

This topic has been covered a lot on this forum. In the Kauai forums search box, type in "north shore' or "south shore" or even, "north shore vs. south shore" and you'll have access to tons of comments.

For our first trip this past March, we stayed on the east side, and we thought this was a good location for a first trip. There are lots of accommodation choices, and you have easy access to both the North Shore and the Poipu area, as well as Waimea. That being said, when we return in June, we'll stay the entire time on the North Shore, because we just fell in love with that side of the island, and our kids love to snorkel.

East Texas
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need advice on good area to stay in Kauai

Thanks for the suggestions Koloagirl and Sierra1. That helps a lot!

Toms River, New...
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need advice on good area to stay in Kauai

Aloha,

While I'm certainly no expert on Kauai, we will be visiting Kauai the first week of December. We are staying in Poipu (south shore) and the reason we decided on this area is because it is much drier than the "east" or "north" part of the island at that time of the year. We do know now that there is alot of construction in Poipu right now, but have decided that weather is our main concern. I read that it does rain in the Poipu area late fall, early winter, but not like the "east" or "north". Given the time of year you are visiting and depending on what you want to do most of the time you are there, may affect where you want to stay.

5. Re: need advice on good area to stay in Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, September 12, 2009