We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Construction area.

Chesterfield, Mich.
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Construction area.

Can someone tell me in very simple terms, what roads are affected by the construction? And, in the Poipu area, starting with which hotels/condos, going north/east, would be the best choices for avoiding the construction? I am asking for myself and for a friend.

Myself, I have a decision to make between Kauai and Maui. It is in March. I have not heard much good about staying in the Kapaa area, and I'm a bit concerned about the North end because of it being March. So that is leaving the Poipu area. And it seems to be in the construction zone. EEEEKKKKK! Maybe I should choose Maui?????

Thanks for any advice!

DC
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Construction area.

You can also look at google earth to see an aerial view of the Poipu area. It gives you a really good sense of what's where, although you can't specifically see the construction. Oddly, there's a lot of cloud cover where the construction is supposed to be taking place. I'm not there, but I'm hoping it's just a coincidence.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Construction area.

travelbug...those satellite shots of Kauai are not current even tho it shows "2007." Check the site in the next few days and you will see the clouds over Poipu are exactly the same as you viewed today.

I am so certain of this as the same pattern cloud cover has been displayed up over the north shore (Moloa'a to Kilauea area) all this year. Secondly, I can confirm that at least since February 2007 when I last visited, the construction of a large new house across the street from the one I plan to move to does not show up at all on google earth.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Construction area.

Actually, that cloud cover has been there for over a year now. I noticed that same cloud when I first installed Google Earth last year. If you scroll over to the Kiahuna Golf Course, there is no construction on the satelittle and there was plenty there in June 2007.

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
278 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Construction area.

Hi Everyone, We're new to the Kauai forum, been concentrating on Europe forums the past two summers! I always enjoy reading everyone's candidness on their experiences and THANK GOODNESS for trip advisor people!!

We're booked for the Waipouli in July '08...so I guess a lot can happen with construction between now & then but the bottom line, I gather, is that the traffic is crunchy around there regardless?

Any tips on times of day to try to avoid leaving or arriving from our day's planned adventures?

I guess a bad traffic jam in Kauai is still better than ANY traffic jam here in So cal!!

Thx, Tanja :)

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Construction area.

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well your comment about traffic in Kapa'a being better than traffic there -- says a lot! If you don't mind traffic then I'm sure you will enjoy the Waipouli Beach Resort -- it is in the center of Kapa'a town, directly across the street from a large shopping center with Safeway, Longs, Starbucks, etc. -- you can easily walk across the street to it from the property.

This intersection is a large part of why the traffic in Kapa'a is so bad -- while traffic in Kapa'a has always been bad, it just got more so when the WBR opened -- when they built they didn't make any adjustment for all the additional traffic from the property going directly onto the highway across from the already congested intersection.

But you are centrally located there -- I understand the rooms are beautiful (altho' I'd stay away from the ones that look out to the "mountain view" as you'll be looking at the street and the Safeway across the street) and the pool area is wonderful. It doesn't have a swimming beach, but really none of the properties in the area do -- you can drive about 10 or 15 minutes (depending on traffic) to Lydgate Park closeby -- which is one of the best beach parks on the island -- lots of swimming areas, lifeguard and all amenities (showers, bathrooms, pavilions, picnic tables) that you'd want. It is also comparatively easy to drive to the North Shore from Kapa'a or in the other direction to the South or West Side.

I'm sure that you will enjoy it!

Malama Pono,

Janet

cincinnati ohio
Level Contributor
59 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Construction area.

We just got back from Kauai last week. This was our fifth visit to the island. We always stay at Kuhio Shores, and we didn't experience any problems at all. Everything was wonderful as usual. We are used to driving in construction areas(We're from Ohio) daily which is a huge pain, so this was nothing for us. Our stay was very quiet, no debris or smoke wafting through the air. We also have allergies and sinus problems. Once we hit the island, sneezing and congestion stopped. Now, we're back home and sinus problems have resumed(LOL). We're ready to go back already. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lisa

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
278 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Construction area.

Thx Janet for your feedback, & everyone else too!

I feel bad for the local community to see businesses come in & not contribute to finding a solution to what sounds like a bottle neck traffic issue. I guess it's a case of catch 22...here, we have so many development restraints that developers have to pay BIG bucks to municpalities to assist with traffic/road enhancments....yet, having such strong municpal involement can be a negative sometimes too. Then, you find a small paradise that is used to a smaller and more relaxed pace of living, those towns and mucipalities don't have those limitations in place yet...so it's easy fpr developers to take advantage...which ultimately leads to the charm of the small town being slowly picked at becasue suddenly the two lane highway isn't moving!!

We've seen that growth here in areas like PCH (HWY 1) in Laguna Beach & also in parts of Newport & Balboa Island. The tourism is great for the local economy, but you wish you could just stop the cars!

Thanks for the tidbit on the beach, fortuantely, lots of people have mentioned it & it's ok for us....we plan on visiting lots of areas on the island & don't expect to hang out at our own resport until the end of the days adventures.

I was so quick to read the reviews on the resort & rushed to book it that I completely FORGOT about the forums!! had I read them earlier, I may have been swayed to the north shore...it didn't occur to me that I wouldn't see the sunset over the water from where we'll be!

As for being close to things that may seem "too commercial"...I like the convenience at the end of the long day. Fortunately, our 18 yr. old spent two weeks there last summer & is very excited about showing us all the great places she went to all over the island, including beaches that were perfect for swimming and some trails they hiked, etc. Can't wait!

Tanja :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Construction area.

We are owners of a condo at Prince Kuhio and recent comments about construction made us worry that it might be impacting our guests. So, we sent an email to our guests who stayed in our condo these past two months. Here (below) are their replies about the construction. It relieved us of our fear that the construction might be disrupting our guest's stay at Prince Kuhio.

"...There is construction going on, but it is about 600 yrds away. Never really heard anyhting. Actually quite and peacefull...." - Wade and Heather, Woods Cross, Utah

"...The construction was heard early in the morning but it was faint and non bothersome...." - Chuck and Leviticus, Escondido, CA

"...Aloha, we had a wonderful trip. The construction did not bother us at all. There was a small detour near the firehouse but that was really no problem at all. The roosters made more noise than the construction. I hope we will be able to return one day...." - Jayne and Dennis, Hamilton, OH

"...We did notice construction, however, we did not hear it nor was there a problem with traffic when we were there..." - Cierra, San Francisco, CA

"...The construction wasn't too bad. It simply detoured us a bit. Therefore the directions you emailed us were a bit different than the detour they have in place, but we figured it out just fine. You can't hear any of the construction from the Prince Kuhio. It was no biggie at all really. Thanks for the great honeymoon spot ... " - Anna and Joseph, Seattle, WA

"... there is some construction going on the main road to Poipu was happening while we were there and they detoured us to Poipu but it wasnt a bid deal....and a freind told me they are building a golf course along the road when you pass Prince Kuhio park on the left but it didnt affect us in any way, we sometimes heard the contractors trucks and forklifts but nothing that would put us out & the noise was very minimal, you almost had to strain to listen to it...." - Kelly and Cory, Fair Oaks, CA

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
278 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Construction area.

Great feedback from your guests, thanks for sharing :) Tanja

20. Re: Construction area.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, September 09, 2009