We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wetsuit needed for scuba?

santa monica
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
wetsuit needed for scuba?

We are leaving for Kauai on 3/15 - this week! We are planning to go snorkeling at Tunnels and scubadiving near Poipu. Are wetsuits needed for scuba this time of year? I'm a hard to fit size and will bring my wetsuit if necessary, but I'd love to try a dive without the suit... Thanks for any advice.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wetsuit needed for scuba?

Izzy

To stay comfortable in the water, you might want to bring that wetsuit, especially for diving, or snorkeling in deeper water.

We will be working on a refresher out of koloa landing, near poipu area, and definitely be wearing our tropical weight wet suits.

Also, the snorkel boats that operate off poipu, issue wet suits to those who want them, I brought my own. Why not be comfortable, and have more fun with your diving experience.

Just snorkeling off poipu beach, probably not necessary, but I get cold pretty fast, and return to shore after about 30 minutes, max.

Some people will wear wetsuits, or shorties when snorkeling from the beaches. So, you will not be alone.

The guided snorkeling tours, from the south shore issue shorties to their customers, as do the snuba people.

Your choice of course, but bringing your wetsuit might be a good idea, expecially since you plan to be in the water alot, and not just staying in the warmer shallows.

Denny

santa monica
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wetsuit needed for scuba?

Thanks Denny. I'm going to bring the wetsuit. Do you recommend any of the Poipu dive companies over another? We are staying at the Sheraton Poipu for four days. I think the resort has a dive company right there, which would be easiest since we don't have much time. Would love your take on this. Thanks again.

Anne

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,904 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wetsuit needed for scuba?

When I worked at the Sheraton, most people were taking "Fathom Five" divers, located just down the road on Po'ipu Road. They go right out of Kukui'ula Harbor and so are very closeby.

Excellent safety records also.

santa monica
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wetsuit needed for scuba?

Fathom Five looks great - very complete and close by. Our time there is feeling too short already. Thank you!

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: wetsuit needed for scuba?

If you have any tendancy to get cold, wear at least a 5mm wetsuit. That's what the Fathom Five divemasters have. Even for snorkeling, I like a 3mm suit if the water's below 80 degrees. Some of the best diving is just a few hundred yards off the Sheraton, at Sheraton Caverns. Fathom Five will usually go there for one dive on a two tank trip. Watch for turtles.

santa monica
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wetsuit needed for scuba?

Thanks to all for the useful tips. Another question: we're staying near Haena for the first few days. Any experience snorkeling at Tunnels beach this time of year (mid-march)? I know we will need to watch the water, talk to the lifeguard, etc., but I'm hoping that we might be able to go in the water at least one day there. Or is it completely inaccessible until May?

Anne

7. Re: wetsuit needed for scuba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:41 am, December 04, 2014
Kauai / Los Angeles
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: wetsuit needed for scuba?

I wear a 3mm shorty for warm water diving, but not for snorkeling. It just helps keep that cold from setting in, especially after the second dive of the day.

Tunnels may still be very rough mid-March, but it's a day-by-day thing. You just have to keep an eye on the weather and surf report. If there's anything more than a three to four foot swell, I'd probably head to the south shore and check out Lawai beach or Poipu beach.

9. Re: wetsuit needed for scuba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:25 am, August 28, 2009