We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about Ninini Point

Which Lihue hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Question about Ninini Point

I'm getting ready for our next trip to Kauai in a month, and was looking for ideas of places we haven't seen yet and came across Ninini Lighthouse and Point, which I've only seen from the plane. Looking at old forum posts it looks like there was a Ritz-Carlton that was being built a few years ago. I was wondering what became of this property because I'm pretty sure there are no RC on Kauai. I don't know that area well..

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k27052…

Thanks!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Question about Ninini Point

And Marriott owns Kauai Lagoons - at least the new timeshare buildings. Not Ritz Carlton. At one time, RC was going to build some of those buildings as "fractional ownership" timeshares but it is now simply the same Marriott ownership and same Marriott scenario.

Haven't walked out to Ninini in years! Thanks for the inspiration. Arriving tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BARB

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,776 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Question about Ninini Point

Some additional details:

- Ahukini Pier is a pretty little spot, popular with fishermen. However, given how polluted Hanamaulu Bay is supposed to be, I wouldn't eat the fish there. But the views are pretty, and when the waves are up, they crash into and over the jetty--but that also means it's windy and wet there.

- There is access behind the airport, from Ahukini to Ninini point, but it is NOT recommended. The dirt road is impassible except for high-clearance 4WD, the area has been a dumping ground for years and full of junk in the trees, and there are homeless camps back there. Plus there are lots of little trails and side roads, so it's possible to get lost.

- Vehicle access to Ninini Point is by rough paved and dirt road (but 2WD OK if you go slow) that starts across from Vindiha stadium. Enter the Marriott property at the back entrance and go around the little guard shack (unmanned) and straight out the other side. Follow the bumpy road along the airport fences, through the golf course briefly, then it turns to dirt road and ends at the light house.

- You can also walk there by either driving or walking through the Marriott lagoons (2 bridges), following signs for public access, and parking behind the boarded-up "Fashion Village" and brew pub. From there you can walk the steep and difficult path to tiny Ninini beach or join up the dirt road to the lighthouse.

- You can definitely watch the cruise ships from the lighthouse. You can also sometimes see the harbor pilot leaving the cruise ship, depending on which side of the ship they climb down.

- Anybody have any news about the half-finished buildings beyond the new time-shares? I think it's a travesty, first that they were allowed to build so close to the water, and second that they were allowed to just leave those ugly unfinished concrete buildings there.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Question about Ninini Point

Thanks, KauaiHiker, for all the detailed information; it's very helpful!

And Barb, I then saw that Marriott owns the Kauai Lagoons, but with all the times I've been to Kauai, I've never even heard of those units. They look pretty nice, but probably a bit out of the way. Let us know if you make it out to Ninini to visit and enjoy your stay!

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Question about Ninini Point

DOn't know about the buildings that are unfinished. Wonder if those are the defunct RC properties?

The Kauai Lagoons are built on what used to be the gorgeous, Japanese owned old Kauai Lagoons resort property which that ownership never developed and actually let go to ruin. However, "ruin" was a gorgeous jungle!

They are 3 bedroom timeshare units with no access to the beach other than walking or driving down the hill to the Kauai Beach Club and then they are not allowed access to the KBC pool or lounge chair facilities. And, unless they have built a second pool, they have the smallest pool on the planet!

Ninini Point is on the agenda this trip - will report. When we first started coming to Kauai, the road was pasable enough that you could easily drive to the lighthouse. Then it deteriorated and we haven't been out since.

BARB

Edited: 11:37 am, January 09, 2014
15. Re: Question about Ninini Point

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 11, 2015