We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killing time in Lihue before catching our 11p.m. red-eye?

Rochester Hills...
Level Contributor
89 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Killing time in Lihue before catching our 11p.m. red-eye?

Our return flight home doesn't leave until 11 p.m. (We're going to Kauai at the end of Feb.). Any ideas on what we can do in the area of Lihue (aside from returning the car, haha) before going to the airport?

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,837 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killing time in Lihue before catching our 11p.m. red-eye?

I'm assuming you'll need to check out of your lodgings earlier in the day? Many people go ahead and book that night too - then they have a place to hang out, shower, etc without feeling homeless till their flight.

We've had that late flight a couple of times. We just made a day of it - late breakfast, took the drive up Waimea Canyon, did some shopping/walking around downtown Kapa‘a, took a last look/walk on my favorite beaches, had a wonderful lunch, Happy Hour and dinner. You could take in a movie.

You need to be returning the rental car by about 9pm so you have plenty of time before your flight. The bar at the airport is not bad, lol.

3Chihuahuas

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,881 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killing time in Lihue before catching our 11p.m. red-eye?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Kick around the Kalapaki Beach area, sit and watch the ocean (with or without a beverage)...then dinner at Duke's right there at the Lihu'e Marriott with wonderful views of Kalapaki Bay......5 minutes drive and you are at the airport!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Canada
Level Contributor
9,168 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killing time in Lihue before catching our 11p.m. red-eye?

It just took us one time to Hawaii with a late evening departure ......and a room that we relinquished much earlier in the day to never do that again. Even in Paradise....traipsing around like a couple of Hobos can lose it's allure pretty quick.

We now ALWAYS book our accommodation through to the next day. The ability to enjoy that last day as we see fit is divine. If that means going out for a swim, snorkeling......whatever...the ability to relax, nap, shower , dine and stay cool before the brutal flight home is priceless.

We consider any extra cost as all part of the holiday. The extra piece of mind in having one's valuables secure rather than in the rental car is an added plus.IMO

Edited: 2:59 pm, January 16, 2013
Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killing time in Lihue before catching our 11p.m. red-eye?

I usually bring an old swimsuit that I can use that day and toss out before changing and heading for the airport. Choose a beach in the area with facilities. Lydgate comes to mind. I use the rest of the day to wander to sites closer to the airport that haven't fit in, such as the waterfalls. Last trip I had dinner at The Feral Pig (delicious and deadly), but you could certainly choose a fancier place as mentioned above. Last minute shopping if you need souvenirs - Walmart, Hilo Hatties. And yes, then the bar at the airport!

California
Level Contributor
36,729 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killing time in Lihue before catching our 11p.m. red-eye?

Its a killer to have to hang around the island all day and into the evening. It makes for one exhausting flight home and your seat mates won't appreciate a day full of sunscreen and sweat next to them. Do yourself a big favor and book a cheap room on Hotwire.

FYI I think the bar at the airport closes down kind of early.

Avila Beach...
Level Contributor
1,181 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Killing time in Lihue before catching our 11p.m. red-eye?

You would know better than me about the bar in the airport, but it was still open at about 10 or so when I flew out about a month ago.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,837 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Killing time in Lihue before catching our 11p.m. red-eye?

Yep, I had expected the bar to be closed too, but it was still open at 10pm in November :-)))))

3Chihuahuas

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
830 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Killing time in Lihue before catching our 11p.m. red-eye?

Where are you staying? Our last night was at the Marriott and that property is great for checking out and then using the facilities throughout the day prior to leaving for the airport. Some hotels work better for this situation than others.

Rushford...
Level Contributor
33 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Killing time in Lihue before catching our 11p.m. red-eye?

We also did Waimea Canyon drive and drove to the end of the road and saw the amazing views. Then we stopped and checked out some of the beaches we hadn't been to on the south just to scout for our next trip. We were staying at the Marriott Kauai Beach in Lihue so we drove back to the hotel we had checked out of in the morning and parked like we were still guests and hung out on the property to relax for the evening. We got to the airport pretty early, but watched as several people barely caught or missed flights because it can be pretty slow getting through security for the late flights. It was nice to just have a nice calm evening before leaving.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
3,672 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Killing time in Lihue before catching our 11p.m. red-eye?

Check with your resort about a later check-out or what facilities you can use after check-out. Some will let you stay till around 2 PM but if they're fully booked, that might not be possible. Although we ended up not doing this, we could have stayed at our resort, used the one pool (including beach towels from the resort) and then showered at the exercise room. We headed out to Waimea, bought some lunch and headed to Salt Pond Beach. They do have showers there but they are outdoors. However, since they also have camping there, we saw many people showering with soap and washing their hair under these showers. No one seemed to think much of it. We just relaxed, read a book, etc. About 4:30 we headed to town, did some window shopping at the mall, and picked up sandwiches to eat while waiting for the plane (cheaper and better than anything at the airport) Returned the rental car around 7:30 PM for our 9:45 PM flight. Many others arrived early also, probably because they were in the same situation.

Since we were at a timeshare it isn't as easy to book another night and we didn't want to check-in to another hotel. However next time if we have a red-eye, we might consider just flying home a night earlier on the latest flight possible. How much do you really do between 11PM and an 11 AM check-out other than try to sleep?