We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kaui

Charleston SC
Level Contributor
50 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Kaui

Anything really fun and neat to drive to that is not a big, hilly, dirt road experience in Kaui?

California
Level Contributor
39,739 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kaui

Where do you think you are going? Kauai isn't like that unless you go on backroads which are probably private property. All of Kauai is neat and fun.

There is nothing more beautiful than Waimea Canyon and a day trip to the North Shore.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kaui

Again, you might look into learning about kauai island, the sites, the activities, and whatever you all might want to experience.

A great help to your planning is the UTLTIMATE KAUAI GUIDE BOOK, you can order it by checking out their website: www.wizardpub.com

Excellent full color publication, and a most wonderful help not only in your planning, but while you are here, with excellent maps and driections as well.

Denny

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,054 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kaui

Lots of places. The whole main road (there's only one), especially along the north shore. Also Waimea Canyon. Kilauea Lighthouse is only a short drive but well worth doing. You can also drive out to Ninini Light, which is kind of neat. If you want to explore, get a copy of the ReadyMap book for Kaua`i (you can buy it here at Long's or Ace Hardware, or online from Amazon) and explore some of the more local roads. We especially enjoy Kapahi, which is uphill from Kaua`i, and around Hanapepe and Kalaheo. .

Mentioned in this post
Hanapepe
Hanapepe
Kauai, HI
Kalaheo
Kalaheo
Kauai, HI
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,158 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kaui

I think your post has confused some. I'm interpreting your question to mean you're just looking for some neat and scenic drives without them being rough, hilly and dirt back roads. Is that correct?

PZP gave you some good ideas. I was going to say just drive the main highway from one end to the other, Kekaha on the west shore to Ke'e Beach on the north shore. Waimea Canyon, the drive on the main highway around Kalaheo is especially nice, and of course the scenery from the highway as you near the north shore and take it all the way to the end is spectacular. I also like the drive on the west shore along the coastline and the Kekaha beach area to be very nice with great views of the water and Niihau along the way. Where are you staying? The drive on Koloa Road between Kalaheo and Koloa is very nice also, if you're staying on the south shore.

In your daily travels there you'll come across many side roads off the main highway that you can check out. They're mostly developed and safe. Not to worry.

Don't let the term "highway" deter you. It's not a freeway. Speeds drop pretty low at places along the way and you'll be able to turn to get some good shots.

Mentioned in this post
Kekaha
Kekaha
Kauai, HI
Kalaheo
Kalaheo
Kauai, HI
Koloa
Koloa
Kauai, HI
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,202 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kaui

If you want to know what the roads are like on Kaua‘i, go to google maps and do a street view. You can cruise the entire island (except for Princeville).

The Ready Mapbook of Kaua‘i is fantastic.

3Chihuahuas

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Batesville
Level Contributor
507 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kaui

My wife and I like the drive up Kuamoo Road to the Hindu Temple. The neighborhoods up there are very nice, and the vistas are great.

We also like driving around the neighborhoods on Papalina Road. Don't forget to stop at the (free) Japanese garden at the Kukiolono Golf Course.

7. Re: Kaui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, December 17, 2013